Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Current/updated Steyr AUG meditations...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Current/updated Steyr AUG meditations...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    Yep, either that or drill one out. I drilled the adverse position vent on mine out to .107" and it's been running fine there, strangely both with and without the suppressor. In the normal position I was having intermittent malfunctions. (For reference, the normal setting gas vent is .072".)
    Just out of curiosity, is .107" the diameter of the factory suppressor gas plug hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is .107" the diameter of the factory suppressor gas plug hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, .101" is, per an Austrian military guy on Lightfighter. I just didn't have a .101" drill bit on hand, I used the .107" and it worked out. (You can read my whole troubleshooting saga in the AUG thread over on Lightfighter if you feel like digging. .107" in the adverse position is the end state tl;dr though.)

I was seeing something about gas plugs with the proper suppressor vent being sold a year or two ago, I think via PJ, but I never bought one since my garage drilled one has been working.

edit: oh and I should mention that I'm using the Surefire SOCOM 7.62 cans on my AUG, which are known to give less gas blowback. Using 7.62 cans to avoid baffle strikes since the Surefire brake is on there via a Ratworx thread adapter and I wanted to play it safe.
    Last edited by The Rat; 01-22-21 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    Drilling the adverse port is something I can do. I like the idea of just paying for a 2.6mm (.102) drill bit for $11 per 10 pack versus $93 for the regulator that isn't even in stock anywhere. Especially after having also just dropped $2200 for the rifle, $80 for the can mount, $100 for the Rat Worx sear, using a $300 optic I already have, etc. Is there a translator service one can pay to communicate to the wife how much effort this is for me to give her a rifle that she will enjoy?
    Last edited by yellowfin; 01-23-21 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    Here's another question for ya: anyone load 68/69gr loads for your AUG to reach out a bit and/or spot hits on steel better? I gather that barrels are or were 1-9 twist-- the one we have is a 2017 gun so dunno if that improved or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Over on the bullpup forum there is a thread where a guy tested projectiles in the 62 to 69 grain range and the AUG did quite well. If I recall correctly it was actually more accurate with those then the 55s from his previous thread. Even though the majority of aug barrels are one and nine twist the AUG is known for stabilizing and shooting well with what would be considered heavy for twist projectiles. I don't know why but they do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345