Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on bipods for ARs

Feedback Score

Need opinions on bipods for ARs

I just became the proud owner of a PA10 with very few rounds on it. I have managed to get some 10 shot groups in 1.5" range at 100 yards off the bench but I don't like my bench set up and was wondering about what is the best way to go with a bipod.

I have Harris bipods and they are OK but my rifle has a M LOK forearm that I like and I am seeing M LOK bipods that are bolted on each side separately. I don't know anyone else with a AR and MLOK forearm much less MLOK bipod so thought I would ask those here the plus and minues of bipods and if there is something else I would like to know about it as well.

It just seems with all those mounting points there has to be more than two bipods. Also every MLOK I see has to come from Wuhan Virusity. New term for the education we are getting about Covid 19.

Thanks for the help yawl.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 08-27-20 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had given some thought to trying the UTG Flex bipod, which is the arrangement that you mention - the bipod legs direct mount to the handguard at the 3 and 9o’clock positions and can fold backwards or forwards when not in use. It was an interesting design and I came close to buying one but decided against.....partly because the idea of putting anything made by UTG on my gun is extremely off-putting to me, but mostly because while not hard to attach and remove, being Mlok, they aren’t exactly QD and I didn’t want that amount of weight hanging off of my gun.
    Another disadvantage is that you can’t really pivot the gun much with this setup, you have to just move the whole rifle.

Another design I looked at was the Heathen Assaulter bipod. It’s an ultralight design with a version available that mounts direct to an Mlok handguard. The mount doubles as a barrier stop. Rather than fold, ultralight legs actually detach from the mounting sockets and can be stowed in a position where the legs sit horizontally along the handguard, or removed completely and stowed in a pack. I gave this one some real thought however I started reading reviews that indicated that after some use the sockets start failing to retain the legs, making them apt to fall out or stay behind in the ground after you get up from prone. I decided that wasn’t a problem I felt like dealing with in a $100 bipod.

So I don’t have any first hand experience with either design but that is just my opinions of the two designs that I had considered and concluded that they weren’t the right choice for me. However you might arrive at a different conclusion.

I just bought a Magpul bipod mount stud and will likely eventually just get a QD Magpul bipod. Personally the ability to quickly attach and remove the bipod is appealing to me since the bipod will be going on a 5.56 AR which I’d like to keep reasonably nimble most of the time if possible.

Feedback Score
    Yes the Harris pivots a bit and two the ability to tilt the rifle is a attribute. Maybe somebody else knows something. Its really hard to beat the original M16 bipod and for those that do not know they will fit a M4 groove forward of front sight. Thanks for the response.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest just to get the appropriate adapter for your Harris bipod and use it. Harris makes a very good product. I have heard less than great reviews of the bipods like the UTG mentioned. Mostly related to loosening and not being real sturdy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    https://www.gggaz.com/m-lok-harris-bipod-adapter.html

I use one of these and seems very well built. The saddle of the Harris is fully supported with the adapter.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 08-27-20 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My solution has been to add picatinny rails to the front 6:00 position of all free-float handguards, which KeyMod, M-Lok, or Magpul MOE.

Most of my Harris bipods have LaRue picatinny adapters, so they'll work on any AR, or even bolt guns that also have picatinny sections installed.

The Atlas PSR is also an excellent option. There's no worry about it folding up under load, and the 45 degree leg option has come in handy to lower the rifle further than is possible with the legs at 90 degrees. The ADM and LaRue interfaces allow them to work with picatinny.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-27-20 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Harris, Atlas, or Magpul. Add appropriate adapter for mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Its really hard to beat the original M16 bipod
    No it isn't. It wasn't a serious contender in its day, much less in our current time of widely available units at a variety of price points that actual stabilize the rifle.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    The ADM q/d 1913 mount makes the Harris about as good as a Harris is going to get and that’s on a Harris with a podloc already installed.

I had to bridge the low profile gas block on my Aero SPR build. The atlas R-one is very slim and the hardware for the bipod mount hit the gas block. I used a mlok 7 slot 1913 rail section that was long enough to bridge the gas block.

B&T makes a 1913 rail section that’s curved to fit most bolt action stocks so I installed one of those on my bolt gun to allow the Harris Bipod to perform double duty between both rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are looking for a bipod that mounts directly to the M-LOK handguard, the MAGPUL bipod is offered in a model that will do that.

https://magpul.com/magpul-bipod-for-...obal_color=118
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I like my Atlas.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast