Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Had Quite The Scare. 2 Primers Detonated While Hand Priming.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just at a glance but that seating punch looks awfully roundy on top and the seated primer seems to show the same contour. Should be flat with the slightest chamfer.
    Edit-- just looked again in the larger version of the pics. It looks to me like that punch is 20% on its way to being a firing pin.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Just at a glance but that seating punch looks awfully roundy on top and the seated primer seems to show the same contour. Should be flat with the slightest chamfer.
    Edit-- just looked again in the larger version of the pics. It looks to me like that punch is 20% on its way to being a firing pin.
    Good catch, Ned.

The RCBS hand-primer's seating punch has a rounded end and a flat end as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. That looks like it could create lgnition unreliabilty in the firearm too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, looks like someone ‘Bubba’d’ the priming post and it was crushing the anvil! Maybe the OP bought it used ...
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    ... primers that I stocked up on some time after the Sandy Hook panic. They have been stored in a metal box in my workshop...
    I wouldn't do that.

In case of fire, primers in their plastic cases/cardboard boxes will cook off harmlessly.

If you contain their explosive potential in a metal box, then I worry you could have a big KA-BOOM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Line an old cooler w/ 2” or more of sheet rock all-around, as allegedly 5/8” is rated for 1-hour. That’s what avid reloaders at my Club do ...
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear no damage to yourself. Never had a single primer go off during a priming session.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Line an old cooler w/ 2” or more of sheet rock all-around, as allegedly 5/8” is rated for 1-hour. That’s what avid reloaders at my Club do ...
    I think that is better vs. the official.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...oc-Primers.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Yes, looks like someone ‘Bubba’d’ the priming post and it was crushing the anvil! Maybe the OP bought it used ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I wouldn't do that.

In case of fire, primers in their plastic cases/cardboard boxes will cook off harmlessly.

If you contain their explosive potential in a metal box, then I worry you could have a big KA-BOOM.
    The Hornady priming tool was purchased new perhaps 10 or 15 years ago, Im not sure. Here is the small seating rod compared to the large seating rod which has seen significantly less use. The small rod does have a very small indentation that cannot be felt by touch. I guess it's possible it could be the cause but again it has only occurred with Remington 7 1/2 primers. Perhaps the primer cup is thinner on the Remingtons. Im pretty certain it is thinner than the CCI 41's. I will call Hornady for a replacement rod.

The primers are stored in several Leupold 100 anniversary scope tins. Basically rectangular Christmas cookie tins. The lid would likely pop right off in a fire. It should be significantly less of a hazard than ammo stored in military ammo cans.

Last edited by Nightvisionary; 09-01-20 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Thanks for this post. I've been looking into a better enclosed storage rather than just my garage cabinets for my powder. Something sealed in order for desiccant to be effective. I looked into those yellow OSHA flammable storage cabinets, but they are pricey. I considered using a 30mm ammo can (the really big ones) but while it would be sealed and keep moisture out as well as flames per sey, IF it got hot enough it could be a big boom. I think building a wooden box and lining that with sheet rock is about the safest thing to do according to SAAMI.

Back on topic:
    Those priming rods look original, but pretty rounded compared to my RCBS rods. Just food for thought.

The metal tin should be fine for storing primers and whatnot.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast