Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Had Quite The Scare. 2 Primers Detonated While Hand Priming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I've been looking into a better enclosed storage rather than just my garage cabinets for my powder. Something sealed in order for desiccant to be effective...
    I just keep my powder in the original plastic jugs, with the caps on... I figure that keeps the moisture out, and I have dehumidifiers in my garage, anyway.

Otherwise my powder and primers live in an old verticle file cabinet (the kind with the flip-up lids).

AFAIK, there's not much danger of smokeless powder exploding, unless it's under some kind of pressure (like in an ammo can or a pressure cooker). I don't worry about gunpowder any more than I worry about a sack of charcoal...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    The Hornady priming tool was purchased new perhaps 10 or 15 years ago, Im not sure. Here is the small seating rod compared to the large seating rod which has seen significantly less use. The small rod does have a very small indentation that cannot be felt by touch. I guess it's possible it could be the cause but again it has only occurred with Remington 7 1/2 primers. Perhaps the primer cup is thinner on the Remingtons. Im pretty certain it is thinner than the CCI 41's. I will call Hornady for a replacement rod.
    Those rods do look rounded as hell compared to what you would get from RCBS and the one picture does appear as though the primer was smashed hard enough during seating that it took that contour.

I bet your replacements look the same as what you have.

If that were my tool I would try flattening one of the old ones out with a stone once your replacement arrived and see how that worked out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I received a response from Remington customer service. They recommend using their Remington 7 1/2 primers with commercial cases only. I will be sticking to CCI and Winchester from now on.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 09-03-20 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I received a response from Remington customer service. They recommend using their Remington 7 1/2 primers with commercial cases only. I will be sticking to CCI and Winchester from now on.
    That's a funny response considering how many billion 7-1/2 primers must have went in to M193/other .mil 5.56 from initial orders until 1985 when Remington lost the contract to run Lake City.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    That's a funny response considering how many billion 7-1/2 primers must have went in to M193/other .mil 5.56 from initial orders until 1985 when Remington lost the contract to run Lake City.
    Yep, they must have had to follow a different primer spec. for the military orders. Here is an interesting thread about Remington 7 1/2 primers from just before mine were purchased where the anvils fell out while loading in the tray. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...imers.3790793/
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 09-07-20 at 08:42.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123