Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Pins

Feedback Score

Cam Pins

Going through a box a spare parts after moving, found these cam pins I've had for years. Can't recall where any of them were purchased but two seem good and the other four just look like junk.
    Two on the left have beveled holes with uniform finish, the other four did not. Something I overlooked at the time, it seems.

Anyone else run into these junk looking cam pins ? They may be serviceable but I would not feel comfortable using them in a defensive gun.
    Just going over what's on hand and stocking up on things that are in stock. Looks like I'll need to replace those four with a known good manufacturer.

20200829_144956.jpg

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yikes. That is a noteworthy difference in apparent quality.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yikes. That is a noteworthy difference in apparent quality.
    I agree! The four to the right look like they were made in high school shop class.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    The two on the left look good but the four on the right should be donated to the John Brown Gun Club.

Feedback Score
    Cam pins are supposed to be coated with solid film lubricant. From the pictures it is hard to tell if the ones on the right are damaged or just have the SFL all scratched up.

If you don't like them, send them to me.
    Last edited by lysander; 09-01-20 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    lysander, how do you feel about nitride cam pins?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    They are a part that needs to be nitrided right or they get brittle. Friend had one break/crack, and then the replacement broke/cracked in the same place. Replaced it with one from Toolcraft and it was fine after.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 08-31-20 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexxus View Post
    They are a part that needs to be nitrided right or they get brittle. Friend had one break/crack, and then the replacement broke/cracked in the same place. Replaced it with one from Toolcraft and it was fine after.
    Nitrided pins have a very hard surface, which is good. But as stated, the also need to be tough, so the core has to be ductile.

Probably still wouldn't hurt to coat them with SFL, nitrided or regular. . .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Nitrided pins have a very hard surface, which is good.
    Is that going to shift wear to the carrier? Because pins are rather inexpensive, and carriers often are not.

Feedback Score
    Is that going to shift wear to the carrier? Because pins are rather inexpensive, and carriers often are not.
    If you are bothering with a nitrided cam pin, I would assume that you would just go with a completely nitrided carrier group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast