Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate advice needed, I waited too long :(

Feedback Score

Question Plate advice needed, I waited too long :(

Hey fellas,

I did a good job stocking up on guns and ammo, but armor somehow never made the purchase list. My fault. I don't expect things out there to get better, so I'm trying to figure out my options.

I'm a fan of SKD and am currently eyeing either their PIG PC or PIG BRIG. I can get either (still in stock) with their Carbine plates, which I realize is single curve. I'm in decent shape, 45" chest, 35" waist, 6 foot tall, 200lbs. I'm pretty sure the single curve plate will stand off of my chest if I strap it down around my waist.

With that in mind, given that everything everywhere is out of stock, should I buy the combo (~$1K), or are there multi-curve plates worth buying still available out there? I'd really like Level IV, but the few places I found (DSG sells Hesco) make those only available to LE or Military. Sadly I'm neither.

Just looking for some advice here. I could get one of the PIGs without plates, the PC takes any size ESAPI I believe, but the BRIG I'd have to order in the correct size for me (I'm not sure what that would be, Large maybe?)

Any help on plate options would be appreciated. I should add that I don't necessarily have a price range given the riots, but I'm also not made of money
    Last edited by dieselnut; 08-30-20 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    I bought level IV plates from RMA:
    https://rmadefense.com/product/level...te-model-1155/

They have lighter ones but they're triple the price. I am using a Condor MOPC (don't bust my balls, it's good quality at a great price and I don't wear it daily). My set up feels almost identical to the gear I wore in the Corps but my RMA plates are lighter. Good luck in your quest!

Edit: the link I embedded is to single curve plates. The multi curve start at $699.
    Last edited by Manofmayhem; 08-30-20 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    Why do you want Level IVs? They tend to be heavy and thick, with mediocre multihit capabilities, unless you're willing to splurge. Weight and thickness will both impact your mobility and performance, so look hard at what threats you're trying to defeat, and for most of us .30-06 M2AP just isn't a realistic threat.

The plates should not be anywhere near your waist.

Last edited by Defaultmp3; 08-31-20 at 00:29.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why do you want Level IVs? They tend to be heavy and thick, with mediocre multihit capabilities, unless you're willing to splurge. Weight and thickness will both impact your mobility and performance, so look hard at what threats you're trying to defeat, and for most of us .30-06 M2AP just isn't a realistic threat.

The plates should not be anywhere near your waist.
    In honesty, because I only expect to put the plates on if what's happening in Portland happens down here. So, I fully expect rifle fire and I have no way to predict what kind. But I'm definitely willing to listen to other ideas, what would you propose? Are you suggesting III+? Soft? Please educate me, my research in this area is admittedly limited. Either way, brands and/or links to reputable online sources would be greatly appreciated.

For now I ordered the PIG PC with their cheaper Level IV plates. Those will at least hold me over until I decide which better plates to get, but can also serve as backup or loaners to a friend in need. It'll also help me get a better idea for what size plates to order in the future. I think I'm either a Medium or Large.
    Last edited by dieselnut; 08-31-20 at 00:53.

Feedback Score
    Sizing plates: measure nipple to nipple, you want plates that wide.
    Look at threat matrices to know what you’re buying, not all lvl4 are equal.
    Also look at special threat lvl3+ plates.

Hescos website has a ton of info on their products.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Sizing plates: measure nipple to nipple, you want plates that wide.
    Look at threat matrices to know what you’re buying, not all lvl4 are equal.
    Also look at special threat lvl3+ plates.

Hescos website has a ton of info on their products.
    Ok, thank you, and I'll do some reading. Where do you guys buy Hesco plates from? DSG or other places?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselnut View Post
    In honesty, because I only expect to put the plates on if what's happening in Portland happens down here. So, I fully expect rifle fire and I have no way to predict what kind. But I'm definitely willing to listen to other ideas, what would you propose? Are you suggesting III+? Soft? Please educate me, my research in this area is admittedly limited. Either way, brands and/or links to reputable online sources would be greatly appreciated.
    FYI, "III+" is a marketing term, and not a real NIJ rating, so be careful when using that term. That being said, for average civilians, I would look toward special threat rated plates if rifle fire is what you're concerned with, and those often are marketed as III+, though there are excellent choices that aren't marketed as such, as they do not meet NIJ Level III; Hesco U210s are probably a good pick, as are the TenCate 6450-SA. For reputable resellers, I would suggest looking at https://store.atarmor.com/, although there are many reputable sellers out there that also can drop ship Hesco products (OP Tactical, EssTac, etc.). I don't know anyone with stock right now, though, so you're on your own on that front, though you've said you're okay waiting now that you've got an interim solution.

Soft armor is probably less useful in your context, as you seem less interested in defending against your average criminal; soft armor's great asset is that it has much better coverage than plates, so for those in LE, soft armor can't be properly replaced by plates.

Again, the key thing is to look at the threats you're likely to meet, and out of those, figure out what you can afford in order to defeat those threats, at what weight and what thickness of plates. Thickness is something relatively few people think about, but it can play a big impact in your comfort, shooting ability, and visibility. With a set of AT Armor STOP-BZs, I could wear my BFG PLATEminus under a department polo and it wouldn't look like I had armor on; can't really do that with your typical Level IV plate that runs >1" thick.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 08-31-20 at 08:57.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    FYI, "III+" is a marketing term, and not a real NIJ rating, so be careful when using that term. That being said, for average civilians, I would look toward special threat rated plates if rifle fire is what you're concerned with, and those often are marketed as III+, though there are excellent choices that aren't marketed as such, as they do not meet NIJ Level III; Hesco U210s are probably a good pick, as are the TenCate 6450-SA. For reputable resellers, I would suggest looking at https://store.atarmor.com/, although there are many reputable sellers out there that also can drop ship Hesco products (OP Tactical, EssTac, etc.). I don't know anyone with stock right now, though, so you're on your own on that front, though you've said you're okay waiting now that you've got an interim solution.

Soft armor is probably less useful in your context, as you seem less interested in defending against your average criminal; soft armor's great asset is that it has much better coverage than plates, so for those in LE, soft armor can't be properly replaced by plates.

Again, the key thing is to look at the threats you're likely to meet, and out of those, figure out what you can afford in order to defeat those threats, at what weight and what thickness of plates. Thickness is something relatively few people think about, but it can play a big impact in your comfort, shooting ability, and visibility. With a set of AT Armor STOP-BZs, I could wear my BFG PLATEminus under a department polo and it wouldn't look like I had armor on; can't really do that with your typical Level IV plate that runs >1" thick.
    That's extremely helpful information, thank you for setting me on the right track! I have a lot of reading and thinking to do now, but those look like good options for sure. I may also look into some soft armor for more day-to-day stuff, especially if going to the grocery store is going to become a life-threatening excursion.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As already recommended here, reach out to AT Armor. You will be taken care of. He's also very helpful with recommendations based on your perceived threat level.

I recently purchased a pair of Hesco 3810's from them. Im not sure what the wait time is currently, but I was told I'd likely see an 8 week wait time, give or take. Take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Plate advice needed, I waited too long

Another vote here for AT Armor and the VS STOP BZ plates. Mike did a special run of VS scarabs for me a number of years ago with only like 5 units IIRC and he was a pleasure to work with. Great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 08-31-20 at 14:39.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast