Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 in a remington 700

Feedback Score

5.56 in a remington 700

I have just bought a couple remington 700 ADL's for a great price. Does anyone here shoot 5.56 in theres? I googled it a few times and had mixed reviews? I only have 5.56 ammo, and none of the local stores around me have .223 remington. I would like to try these rifles out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    I have just bought a couple remington 700 ADL's for a great price. Does anyone here shoot 5.56 in theres? I googled it a few times and had mixed reviews? I only have 5.56 ammo, and none of the local stores around me have .223 remington. I would like to try these rifles out.
    If it is roll marked as such, you'll be okay. If it is roll marked .223 Remington, you are liable to run into over-pressure issues...or worse.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm going to go against the grain vs the whole mitigating risk approach.

The 700 is a super strong action & should have zero problems handling a hot 223 load...watch your before & after primers if you have to do it. Having said that, I wouldn't shoot 5.56 just to hear it go bang. There is plenty of 223 to be online & was looking at it on ammoseek earlier...just expensive. If it were my gun, I would order the 223 for the application intended for the gun.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    double tap
    Last edited by Artos; 09-04-20 at 18:10.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Rem700 5R in .223 that I shoot the hottest ammo I can find. Bolt action, is no issue whats so ever. One of my favorite guns.

Go for it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yes. Remington often has massive leades in their barrels. That may not be true for every gun. But we run stupid hot loads in Pappabear's 700.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank yall for asking and answering a question Ive wondered about for decades...why no 5.56 marked bolt guns.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Thank yall for asking and answering a question Ive wondered about for decades...why no 5.56 marked bolt guns.
    I remember when Black Hills sent us ammo to test. I told them we'd shoot some out of the bolt gun, and they were concerned about the NON-5.56 chamber. Nah, Brah! The lead in these guns is crazy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I remember when Black Hills sent us ammo to test. I told them we'd shoot some out of the bolt gun, and they were concerned about the NON-5.56 chamber. Nah, Brah! The lead in these guns is crazy.
    DAAAANG- yall got the inside to BH? Thats awesome.
    Whats the QC on the 700's now- I have cursed & shunned all things Remington for a decade now.
    Some of the most accurate rifles I EVER shot were the old Varmint guns back in the 70's- 90's.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tikka is now the new 700 turn bolt of old when it comes to out of the box accuracy for the $$$$...unless buying the R5, vssf, sendero & upper end 700's / model 7's, it's going to be a crap shoot. I hope big green can find their roots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast