View Poll Results: Full size or shorty can?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • QDC

5 41.67%
  • QDC CQB

7 58.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First rifle can: KAC QDC vs QDC CQB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

First rifle can: KAC QDC vs QDC CQB

I know this gets debated every so often but never seen it specifically for KAC cans. I also know the correct answer is both but I really should stick with just one for a while. My primary gun will likely be my 12.5 Hodge but I also have a 10.3 DD, a 14.5 BCM, and a 14.5 KAC Mod 2 that all have KAC QDC muzzle devices and I can't decide between OAL or decibel reduction so figured I might as well ask.
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-01-20 at 20:54.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    If it's for your 12.5" Hodge as a primary, I'd stick with the QDC CQB for now for compactness and maneuverability. Move on the full size QDC later on. Honestly, if you have the money to do both, I would just get it out of the way and get them both.

Feedback Score
    I had an upper with a 12.5" Hodge barrel combined with a 10" Daniel Defense MFR rail. I used it with a Knight's 556 QDC CQB, and a Knight's 762 QDC CRS (similar weight to the 556 QDC).

The CQB with the Hodge 12.5" was a really handy upper. Not quiet at all, but it was enjoyable to use. The CRS with the corresponding flash adapter was 3-4 ounces heavier, but it felt heavier in hand. The sound performance was hard to gauge because I always wear double hearing protection, but I felt like the extra weight wasn't worth it. The CRS isn't a 556 QDC, and I have a feeling that Knight's dedicated 556 full size suppressor is going to offer noticeable sound performance over the 762 CRS.

For a first rifle can the full size QDC is going to be the safest option. You'll be less likely to be disappointed. However, if you are in an environment where you don't have to be incredibly quiet, and everyone is wearing hearing protection, the 12.5" CQB combo is fun to use.

I'm eventually going to get the 556 QDC to go along with the CQB. Right now they are very difficult to find.

IMG_1718nb.jpg
    This photo is from a while back with the 12.5" barrel and the CRS suppressor. Firearm was empty but I forgot to put the safety on.

I'm missing a photo of the 12.5" CQB combo because I made the stupid decision to transplant the barrel into a "full" Hodge upper. I turned it into a un-ergonomic, overly heavy upper, and the barrel is stuck in the out of spec thermal fitted upper.
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 09-02-20 at 18:03. Reason: Made some edits after re-reading the original post.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought their CQB for my 16' SR15 and its Barky. For a 12.5 I would def buy the larger can. Unless you wear ears or double bag.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.O.U.S. View Post
    For a first rifle can the full size QDC is going to be the safest option. You'll be less likely to be disappointed.
    That's the argument for the fullsize - even with some expectation management, I know that if I get the shorty I'll probably still be surprised at the noise.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I know this gets debated every so often but never seen it specifically for KAC cans. I also know the correct answer is both but I really should stick with just one for a while. My primary gun will likely be my 12.5 Hodge but I also have a 10.3 DD, a 14.5 BCM, and a 14.5 KAC Mod 2 that all have KAC QDC muzzle devices and I can't decide between OAL or decibel reduction so figured I might as well ask.
    I chose to go with the QDC. I simply do not think that 1" device length on a 30" device, is going to tip the scales. That said, the QDC has legitimately less flash and sound than the CQB, if t hey are anything like the fullsize Surefire full and mini cans I have experience with.

Feedback Score
    Neither one. Buy a Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2. Less back pressure.

I own both a QDC 556 with a SR-15 Mod 2 16” and the Surefire + DD 16” mid-length on a BCM A5. The Surefire is the better can.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 09-14-20 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Neither one. Buy a Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2. Less back pressure.

I own both a QDC 556 with a SR-15 Mod 2 16” and the Surefire + DD 16” mid-length on a BCM A5. The Surefire is the better can.
    Have you tried the both on the same rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Have you tried the both on the same rifle?

Yes on the DD 16” using a spare Knight’s FH. I also use the Surefire on a 16” carbine set up and 18” Noveske SPR upper with a Switchblock. i prefer the Surefire, even though I like the way the QDC locks up on the QDC flash hider better than Surefire’s mounting system.

Surefire’s mounting system is more prone to getting stuck to the suppressor with prolonged shooting. However, the cure is simple: Scrub the carbon off with a nylon brush and apply a generous amount of Geissele Go Juice on the adapter and inside the suppressor’s attachment ring. Comes on and off easy every time. I do this on both the QDC and Surefire and have zero issues. I credit JoshNC for teaching me this

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Yes on the DD 16” using a spare Knight’s FH. I also use the Surefire on a 16” carbine set up and 18” Noveske SPR upper with a Switchblock. i prefer the Surefire, even though I like the way the QDC locks up on the QDC flash hider better than Surefire’s mounting system.

Surefire’s mounting system is more prone to getting stuck to the suppressor with prolonged shooting. However, the cure is simple: Scrub the carbon off with a nylon brush and apply a generous amount of Geissele Go Juice on the adapter and inside the suppressor’s attachment ring. Comes on and off easy every time. I do this on both the QDC and Surefire and have zero issues. I credit JoshNC for teaching me this
    I think you’re the only person I’ve ever seen say that the SF has less blowback than a QDC.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast