Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price and availability of registered RECEIVER MP5...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Price and availability of registered RECEIVER MP5...

I'm familiar with HK roller locked guns having formal training from another life when time was young and so was I.

I think it might be nice to have an MP5.

I know that registered sears are considered the most desirable and are therefore more expensive. I also have zero interest in running one in .308 (interestingly registered receiver 91 conversions seem "comparatively" affordable), and only marginal interest in running one in .223 (or even 7.6x39 with a PTR32). It's all about the 9mm.

This makes me think, well maybe I can find a registered receiver Mp5 9mm for less.

So, I'm trying to price a registered receiver MP5, any variant.

However, I can't seem to find any! What's up with that?

TED

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're going to get into the MG game, I would recommend looking into WWII USGI Thompsons. They're surprisingly affordable for what they are, and I think they would hold most if not all of their value in the unlikely but financially devastating event that MGs were legalized.

Feedback Score
    David Spiwak had one recently that you missed and I saw one on GunBroker recently. You just have to keep your eyes open for them. I think they were in the $25k range.

If this is your first submachinegun, it's hard to beat an M11/Nine with a Lage upper. I really enjoy mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    I specified registered receiver. Reuben's MP5 transferables are currently all sear or trigger pack guns. I already looked there before I posted.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    If you're going to get into the MG game, I would recommend looking into WWII USGI Thompsons. They're surprisingly affordable for what they are, and I think they would hold most if not all of their value in the unlikely but financially devastating event that MGs were legalized.
    I've played with Thompsons and I really don't like them. They are cool from a historical point of view but not so great from a modern user perspective.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    David Spiwak had one recently that you missed and I saw one on GunBroker recently. You just have to keep your eyes open for them. I think they were in the $25k range.

If this is your first submachinegun, it's hard to beat an M11/Nine with a Lage upper. I really enjoy mine.
    Thanks! That's some good intel! I've spoken with Mr. Spiwak before and found him very helpful and fun to talk with. I would absolutely do business with him.

I do have a transferable M11 right now and I had it converted to use Glock mags. This required quite a bit of difficulty, expense, rare parts for cannibalization, and custom fabrication. However, it is FANTASTIC! To be honest, I would actually put my customized M11 with tungsten bolt up against an MP5 any time. However, it doesn't serve that personal nostalgia memory lane itch like an MP5 would.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats on your decision to buy an MP5. There is no finer transferable SMG IMO. I have a registered DLO trigger frame and a Fleming sear, both installed in MP5s - a MP5K-N and a MP5-N. I have UZIs too. I had a m11/9 (sold it, wish I had not). The only other subgun I really want is a Swede K.

It’s important to know that there are two types of RR MP5 (and other roller delay guns). The first and most desirable is the factory machinegun spec “pushpin” RR, where the front semiauto shelf was removed and the lower housing attaches using the front pushpin. This type of conversion allows the use of all factory MG parts and is mechanically identical time to a factory MG. The second is the “clip on” RR. These are semiauto spec receivers that use unregistered conversion devices in the trigger pack. Neal Smith made trigger frames (the steel box) that use all factory MG fcg parts, while Fleming, Ceiner, HTA, Wilson and others used unregistered sears. It is not legal to mill and drill a clip on RR to make it MG spec, despite the fact the receiver is registered. ATF holds that this would create two MGs because of the unserialized unregistered sear. The clip on RR is the least desirable HK MG conversion. Unless I stumbled upon a really really good deal (and I mean like someone selling for $7k), I would not buy a clip on RR HK.

The pushpin RR hk is very expensive, more so than a sear gun because of the purist factor among collectors.

As an aside, many Neal Smith guns have had their trigger frames removed from the gun and sold as transferable trigger boxes (worth far more). I spoke with Neal at Knob Creek last year and asked him about these. He stated he only registered the receivers, not the trigger frames, that the serial numbers on the trigger frames match that of the host receiver that was registered by him. He said ATF had called him about these and was apparently fine with the trigger frames transferring as the MG as long as the receiver had not been converted to MG spec. His trigger frames have all his info and serial number engraved.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-05-20 at 21:23.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow! "pushpin RR hk is very expensive, more so than a sear gun". Solid intel but that really puts a damper on things. I was hoping that a RR would be much less expensive than an registered sear as I am definitely not willing to spend the price of an auto sear! I'm bummed out. Looks like I will be abandoning that plan!

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Wow! "pushpin RR hk is very expensive, more so than a sear gun". Solid intel but that really puts a damper on things. I was hoping that a RR would be much less expensive than an registered sear as I am definitely not willing to spend the price of an auto sear! I'm bummed out. Looks like I will be abandoning that plan!

TED
    You can find a clip-on RR for about $20-25k realistic pricing. I would definitely want to inspect it and ensure something funky wasn’t done. And I’d avoid Ceiner clip-on RRs because he incorporated the trip lever into the sear. There are reports of these sears breaking. A friend just brokered a collection from an old time collector that had Ceiner convert his Hk94. He had Ceiner’s original instructions that mentioned bending the trip lever with pliers if the timing was off. Crazy.

You could still have TSC or Dyer upgrade to a proper 3-lug barrel or Navy barrel, and ambi lower.

If you really only care about an mp5, this is a fine way to go.

But honestly right now the MG market is in a slump. It’s a great time to buy a hk sear conversion. You can probably find a sear converted mp5 for $30-35k right now.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast