Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HM Defense

Feedback Score

HM Defense

There are a handful of rifle manufacturers that receive a lot of praise on this forum, but there’s a local shop that seems to make some pretty solid rifles that may be worth checking out.

HM Defense in Mt. Orab, Ohio.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That lack of info on them is telling. There's a Guns & Ammo review from like 5 years ago, which can be ignored because they've never reviewed a gun that wasn't the best thing in the world ever. There's a couple videos from iraqveteren88, who is a known paid shill, and sootch00, who's reviews I'd take with less than a grain of salt, and other youtubers that I've never heard of.

The few websites that have them listed and OOS show them to be priced between $1100-1800. I'm not sure why one would spend that kind of money on one of their rifles when there are plenty of good options in that price range that don't use flimsy looking rails and a barrel with a machined in flash hider.

Feedback Score
    I have had the .308/7.62 model for a few years. I believe they sold it as HM Avenger.

Until about a year ago I lived in Alaska and there is a local armory there that brought in a model for the local LEO to try out. They decided to go with a cheaper option, I think. One of the owners asked me to check it out and I liked it. It handled the weather there (lots of snow, rain, cold climate) just fine and shoots well. I added a Magpul PSR, Geissele SSA-E, Vortex 6-24, and a sling. Given the range there and hunting conditions in my area I never shot it over 200 yards, but it shoots great to that distance.

The barrels they sell are 4150 chromoly and not chrome lined with an adjustable gas block. They do a few things differently with their cam pins (rounding the bottom to make it less prone to damage), lowers, and I think they make the muzzle device, too. Anyway, I have been pleased it and it has handled well for me. It just feels solid in your hands. If you want I can post some pictures of my setup. I am not a guru of the gun world, but I have had a good experience and wanted to share it. Hopefully, others will add feedback.

Feedback Score
    Here’s a picture of their specs. Do you see anything that is concerning?

Edit: Can’t get the picture to upload. Can someone help me out and take a look at this link?

http://www.hmdefense.com/html/defenderm5l.html
    Last edited by Cincinnatus15; 09-09-20 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    Here’s a picture of their specs. Do you see anything that is concerning?

Edit: Can’t get the picture to upload. Can someone help me out and take a look at this link?

http://www.hmdefense.com/html/defenderm5l.html
    No mention of HPT or MPT testing of their bolts. The integral gas block is interesting, but eliminates the possibility of changing it should it fail. The result is a new barrel. Not that a gas block fails on the regular but something to consider. The chamber dimensions aren't clearly indicated. I suspect it is 5.56x45mm NATO but they didn't expressly say so.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 09-09-20 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    I emailed and got this response...

“ Hello

Barrels are 4150 chromolly steel( chrome is in the steel)

No chrome coating added to bore.

Black cerakote finish on exterior of the barrel.

Bolts are 9310
    Carriers 8620
    Black nitride finish
    All Milspec processes are performed, including shot peening, heat treat, mpi.

Regards
    Clay Barker
    GM”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not offended by their alterations, but an untreated or unlined barrel is an odd choice.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Nitride treated right?

Feedback Score
    Deleted

Feedback Score
    I believe it is untreated completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast