Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are primers readily available?

Feedback Score

Are primers readily available?

My grandson is interested in loading 300 Blackout. He's been told that primers for ammo is virtually unobtainable. Two reasons have been cited:
    1) Almost all primers are made in Italy and Italy is shut down due to the 'pandemic'.
    2) The US government has shut down primer manufacture in America.

Are either or both of these stories true or is it hogwash? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    My grandson is interested in loading 300 Blackout. He's been told that primers for ammo is virtually unobtainable. Two reasons have been cited:
    1) Almost all primers are made in Italy and Italy is shut down due to the 'pandemic'.
    2) The US government has shut down primer manufacture in America.

Are either or both of these stories true or is it hogwash? Thanks in advance for your insights.
    Not sure if either are true, but I can attest that primers other than large primer are unobtainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They are in short supply because they are being hoarded and ammo manufacturers also make the primers....therefore they are using the surplus primers to make more ammo to meet this record ammunition demand.

You’ll have to hunt but you can find primers. I purchased a few thousand in the last few weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    They are in short supply because they are being hoarded and ammo manufacturers also make the primers....therefore they are using the surplus primers to make more ammo to meet this record ammunition demand.

You’ll have to hunt but you can find primers. I purchased a few thousand in the last few weeks.

I’m glad you found some but I’ve had no luck. The largest supplier in my area says he has had an order for primers and popular powders since May and still can’t get any

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I’m glad you found some but I’ve had no luck. The largest supplier in my area says he has had an order for primers and popular powders since May and still can’t get any

I keep a rather large supply for my competition pistols. I prefer to replace them as I shoot them...I like to have a years worth on hand. I’ve learned my lesson from other election years.

Feedback Score
    I keep a rather large supply for my competition pistols. I prefer to replace them as I shoot them...I like to have a years worth on hand. I’ve learned my lesson from other election years.

I have enough for 10k but like you said I like to replace what I roll and haven’t been able to. I also like you learned from sandy hook and always buy when times are good

Feedback Score
    They are in short supply because they are being hoarded...
    You call it "hoarding." I call it "stocking up."

You’ll have to hunt but you can find primers.
    I’m glad you found some but I’ve had no luck.

Huh? I easily found 20,000 CCI #41s. They're in the cabinet in my garage labelled "primers."

I bought them years ago, when they were cheap and plentiful...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    You call it "hoarding." I call it "stocking up."

Huh? I easily found 20,000 CCI #41s. They're in the cabinet in my garage labelled "primers."

I bought them years ago, when they were cheap and plentiful...
    Once again I have plenty as well but he’s asking about now. Maybe he can come to your house and buy some. Otherwise what was the point of your comment

Feedback Score
    Once again I have plenty as well but he’s asking about now... Otherwise what was the point of your comment...
    My point (oblique, I know) is that the OP's grandson has picked a bad moment to delve into reloading...

Also, blaming the shortage on "hoarding" is wrong-headed.

After several rounds of shortages induced by various political crises, most of us here have realized that having a stockpile of what we'll want/need to use over the next 5-10 years (or the rest of our lives) is simply good inventory management.

So, want to buy primers? Wait 6-18 months, and the panic will end, and they'll be cheap and plentiful again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    My point (oblique, I know) is that the OP's grandson has picked a bad moment to delve into reloading...

Also, blaming the shortage on "hoarding" is wrong-headed.

After several rounds of shortages induced by various political crises, most of us here have realized that having a stockpile of what we'll want/need to use over the next 5-10 years (or the rest of our lives) is simply good inventory management.

So, want to buy primers? Wait 6-18 months, and the panic will end, and they'll be cheap and plentiful again.
    People aren’t exactly shooting any more than they did a few months back. There hasn’t been an influx of new reloaders.

People buying more than they intend to use during a time is by definition hoarding. Words mean things:

hoarding noun (1)
    hoard·​ing | \ ˈhȯr-diŋ \
    plural hoardings
    Definition of hoarding (Entry 1 of 2)
    1a : the practice of collecting or accumulating something (such as money or food)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast