Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are primers readily available?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Why should they not be used with Lake City?
    other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I received a response from Remington customer service. They recommend using their Remington 7 1/2 primers with commercial cases only. I will be sticking to CCI and Winchester from now on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    other thread
    I’d imagine all the primer companies would say the same thing. But no specific reason? I’ve used 10k of them without any kind of issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why should they not be used with Lake City?

I contacted Remington customer service after I had two 7 1/2 primers detonate from a 100 count tray during priming. They stated I should only use "commercial brass". Since one of the primers was being loaded into a once fired nickel plated Speer Gold Dot case those are out too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Gun guys are the worst panicky bitches out there. I've lived through too many of these tard festivals to give a shit anymore.

We keep a hearty inventory of components good times or bad.
    Yup,

I won't post publicly how many I have on hand between LR - SR - SP - LP and 12 gauge. Let's just say I won't be running low for a few years and have more than enough until this crap is over and Trump is re-elected.

Same for powder and magazines......Learned my lesson the last time this happened and when I see them I buy them.

If were a douche, I'd be selling some of this stuff for a huge profit, but I prefer to remain prepared for pretty much anything.

CCI's are my go to primers, but will use Winchester as well for 556 loads in a pinch. Same for 12 gauge.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-04-20 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    I contacted Remington customer service after I had two 7 1/2 primers detonate from a 100 count tray during priming. They stated I should only use "commercial brass". Since one of the primers was being loaded into a once fired nickel plated Speer Gold Dot case those are out too.
    Sounds like your problem may have been inadequate crimp removal. I’ve had it happen before on crimped primer pocket cases with other brands as well. I bought a lot of Lake City that was supposed to have been processed to include primer pockets. Turns out it wasn’t. Best bet is never force a primer and visually confirm the crimps are removed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like your problem may have been inadequate crimp removal. I’ve had it happen before on crimped primer pocket cases with other brands as well. I bought a lot of Lake City that was supposed to have been processed to include primer pockets. Turns out it wasn’t. Best bet is never force a primer and visually confirm the crimps are removed.

That is very possible but, I was working with about 8000 cases I had prepped by hand as a single project. I had prepped at least 2000 cases in a project preceeding that. All mixed brass range pick ups exclusively using CCI and Winchester primers. When I switched to Remington primers at about case number 10,000 I experienced 2 primer detonations in the first 100 primer box. So either A. 2 out of 10,100 case had the crimp improperly removed and it was just chance that I grabbed those when I switched to Remington primers or B. Remington primers have significantly greater sensitivity to tight primer pockets or the hand priming tool. or C. There was a quality control issue with that single lot of Remington primers. Whatever the reason Remington said I should use commercial cases.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This was a really great thread in Jan, 2020, and prophetic: Election year pre-panic stock up
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...anic-stock-up/

One yahoo asked this question:

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Tangent: If one were to stockpile reloading components, what specific primers, powders, and bullets could be expected to provide the greatest return and flexibility during periods of less availability?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Gun guys are the worst panicky bitches out there.
    +1000 it's us that's the problem, there is always something in the future coming to get us, then we blame each other for being prepared, while blaming people that aren't prepared and waited too long. My supply firearm/parts/ammo/component supply is split in two, one portion for me, family and friends, the other to fund my new 911 purchase after the election.

Everyone loves capitalism except when they're on the short end of it. similar to everyone hating big government until you blow a tire hitting a pothole.

Feedback Score

Are primers readily available?

That is very possible but, I was working with about 8000 cases I had prepped by hand as a single project. I had prepped at least 2000 cases in a project preceeding that. All mixed brass range pick ups exclusively using CCI and Winchester primers. When I switched to Remington primers at about case number 10,000 I experienced 2 primer detonations in the first 100 primer box. So either A. 2 out of 10,100 case had the crimp improperly removed and it was just chance that I grabbed those when I switched to Remington primers or B. Remington primers have significantly greater sensitivity to tight primer pockets or the hand priming tool. or C. There was a quality control issue with that single lot of Remington primers. Whatever the reason Remington said I should use commercial cases.
    Or a combination of all three. I’ve seen lots and lots of improperly decrimped primer pockets. Sounds as though Rem wanted to CYA. And yeah, it’s universally known Remington is softer than CCI but no more than Win or Federal.

Perhaps the harder primers didn’t care the crimp wasn’t fully removed and didn’t detonate any as you muscled past it. Either way, once the crimp is fully removed, there is no meaningful difference in primer pockets dimensions.

Last edited by PracticalRifleman; 09-05-20 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    Gun guys are the worst panicky bitches out there. I've lived through too many of these tard festivals to give a shit anymore.

We keep a hearty inventory of components good times or bad.
    Although I would typically agree with what you said, I have never in my life ever heard or seen the type of bull shit that is going on now. This time around I can see something happening if Biden is able to steal this election. Gun regulations are going to come sooner than later I’m afraid and the responsible person would be well advised to stock up as well as they can. Good thing is if nothing happens, you can shoot your insurance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast