Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V Seven "Enhanced A5 buffer" appears to have no bias spring

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Would the average guy be able to feel the difference between the v7 and VLTOR buffer???
    Feel is not my goal. A maximally wide operating envelope is. Different uppers, ammo, users, weather, cleanliness, firing positions, etc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The A5 is almost all about feel. Wonder why all the manufacturers keep drilling bigger and bigger gas ports?? Because people keep ‘tuning’ their operating window with a buncha special heavy nonsense and then they whine all over the Internet that their tier 1 upper won’t run on their dipshit lower with Wolf ammo.

The little biasing spring doesn’t do anything because while the bullet is traveling down the barrel, recoil is happening. And that sets the weights to the front of the buffer. Every time.

Want the gun to run? Get a proper barrel with a proper gas port and chamber. Use proper 5.56 ammo. It will run with literally any buffer from a 3.0 oz carbine to an A5H3 and everything in-between because when the gun is built right, outside of extremes like 10.3” suppressed full-auto, the buffer really doesn’t matter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The little biasing spring doesn’t do anything because while the bullet is traveling down the barrel, recoil is happening. And that sets the weights to the front of the buffer. Every time.
    High speed video shows that recoil is minimal (i.e. less than the buffer weight travel) before the carrier starts moving.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    From a rigid fixture or a shoulder?

The bullet is long gone from the barrel before the carrier starts to move.

The idea of the sliding weights is to retard the second rearward movement of the carrier.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From a rigid fixture or a shoulder?
    I have no idea. Point made. The rifle does recoil in these videos so it's not completely clamped in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7l6KlNDJg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ...Want the gun to run? Get a proper barrel with a proper gas port and chamber. Use proper 5.56 ammo.
    If more people realized this (and used quality springs) posts about problems with ARs would evaporate.

It will run with literally any buffer from a 3.0 oz carbine to an A5H3 and everything in-between because when the gun is built right, outside of extremes like 10.3” suppressed full-auto, the buffer really doesn’t matter.
    However, buffer weight does matter, especially with barrels that are 16 inches or less and carbine gas systems. Recoil is noticeably softer with the heavier buffers and quite sharp with the carbine buffer. Carbine buffers are just too light.

20 inch uppers with rifle gas systems soft shooters, even with a carbine buffer but mine has been amazing with an A5 RE assembly
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    first post updated

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I pulled the spring out of one of my VLTOR buffers years back. I thought (at that time) it served no functional purpose. That said, I don't know which one and can't tell any difference.

You can tell if the buffer is out of the gun and you shake it... the weights will freely rattle a bit.

All that said. No way would I be buying buffers from these goober companies. Shit. One of the Heavy Buffers was nothing but a chunk of steel with the delron tip. Bolt bounces like a ping pong ball. Um... a hunk of metal is NOT a buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    these goober companies.
    Do you put V Seven in that category?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Do you put V Seven in that category?
    No idea. Never heard of them. But I generally don't buy from unknown companies unless they're fairly well vetted. With buffers, I've seen everything from Spikes powder filled crap to Heavybuffers paper weights.

Definitely worth waiting for VLTOR or Bravo to get their buffers back in stock.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast