Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sling Mounts and slings in general on an Ar15 after seeing the Kyle shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Sling Mounts and slings in general on an Ar15 after seeing the Kyle shooting

So ive always been a 2 point sling guy, whether it be stock mounted and rail mounted or end plate mounted and rail mounted.

After seeing the shooting positions Kyle engaged from while on his back, Im re-considering my stock to rail 2 point sling preference.

I am a huge fan of 2 to 1 slings but figured id bring it up as its always a big debate.

Lets not make this into a what brand is better but more of a "man, he smoked 3 guys while retaining his weapon" thread.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was going to post something along these lines..you beat me to it

Would also like to hear about 2-1 sling recommendations.... I currently use VTACs 2 point but the ability to switch to one point is interesting. I have a one point Amazon cheapy for my Extar EP9, but it is range toy.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Magpul ASAP provides excellent ambi manipulation.

QD endplates work too.

I need to train transition more.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The last carbine class I took we did a lot of shooting from our weak side. I found that with my usual buttstock/forend mounted sling it was difficult to transition from strong to weak side. But when I moved the sling from the buttstock to the QD endplate that transition became much easier and seamless.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    The last carbine class I took we did a lot of shooting from our weak side. I found that with my usual buttstock/forend mounted sling it was difficult to transition from strong to weak side. But when I moved the sling from the buttstock to the QD endplate that transition became much easier and seamless.

I took Urban Defense with Paul Howe a few years ago. As part of the class we did single man building clearing. I encountered a target on a hard left corner, i transitioned and shot it, moved on.

During the debrief, Paul, who was right behind me the whole way asked me why I transitioned for that shot...I gave the usual reasoning about cover etc....

Paul says, "Just step out and kill him". "You are never going to be as fast or accurate with that off hand, just kill him and get it over"

That was an interesting discussion....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'm a fan of 2 point to single point convertible slings. They allow you to take advantage of the positive attributes of both while minimizing the impact of the negative ones.

I'm not a fan of just single point slings unless it's for a pdw/subgun that doesn't hang low enough to smack your twig and berries.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm not a fan of just single point slings unless it's for a pdw/subgun that doesn't hang low enough to smack your twig and berries.
    Having learned my lesson the HARD way on that one , I still run a 2-pt. on my Bren 805 pistol... JUST to be safe.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I’m curious what about the 2-point sling the OP and others thinks isn’t adequate for retention shooting or general retention of the rifle?

I run my DIY adjustable 2-point from the stock to in front of the receiver. I can transition to weak side while still slung and can run it as a 1-point “neck sling” if I wanted a little more maneuverability at the expense of a little retention. There’s really nothing I can’t do with a 2-point that I can do with a 1-point. Not true the other way around.

That said, I’m of the same mindset as above regarding staying with the strong side and being faster as opposed to switching shoulders to stay behind cover. Unless I’m static and holding a corner for example, I want to be on the strong side where 90%+ of my training is done.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-05-20 at 10:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Due solely to my 2 gun experience which sometimes requires transition to the off hand side my rear sling mount is at the endplate and close to the upper receiver on the handguard. Better control than a single point [which I tried but quickly disliked for all the same reasons as everyone else], not as stable as moving the attachment points to the ends but better for the required transitions.
    That said transitioning to off hand and using the non-dominant eye is slow, way slower and less accurate than doing has Mr. Howe said. Were it not required I would just step out and make the shot.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Not gonna lie - if you are alone and surrounded by a mob intent on killing you, your sling selection is the least of your worries.

Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast