Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarters as buffer tube spacer?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quarters as buffer tube spacer?

Someone mentioned a stack of U.S. quarters as a buffer tube spacer, maybe in jest or derision but I checked and they are about the right size. Is this an acceptable kludge to use a carbine buffer and spring in an A5/intermediate receiver extension?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Someone mentioned a stack of U.S. quarters as a buffer tube spacer, maybe in jest or derision but I checked and they are about the right size. Is this an acceptable kludge to use a carbine buffer and spring in an A5/intermediate receiver extension?
    Why wouldn't you use the correct A5 spring and buffer if you already have the receiver extension? If you're wanting to use a carbine spring and buffer, swap out the receiver extension for the correct one.

Using quarters to build out 3/4" is clown shoes.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It'll work; all you're doing is reducing the inside length of the A5 to carbine length. Are you asking in case you don't have the correct spring and buffer available for an A5 tube in an emergency? Just make sure you space it correctly or else your bolt carrier might go too far back and cause damage to the receiver extension. Or, better yet, get the right parts for the job.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you called Magpul, they'd probably sell you one of the spacers they include with the Gen 2 UBR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Why wouldn't you use the correct A5 spring and buffer if you already have the receiver extension? If you're wanting to use a carbine spring and buffer, swap out the receiver extension for the correct one.
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Or, better yet, get the right parts for the job.
    I had just finished replacing the carbine RE with a BCM Intermediate RE when I discovered that the "A5" buffer I bought was not as it should be. I need to use the carbine spring and buffer until I figure out what to do about that.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It is fairly common for competitors to stack quarters in buffer tube to prevent bolt from cycling far enough to lock back on empty mag.
    I’ve seen this with a number of PCC shooters.

Sooo, does it work? Sure it does.

Would anyone be advised to use this expedient/bandaid on a SD weapon? I think not.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Would anyone be advised to use this on a SD weapon? I think not.
    Is there a better expedient/bandaid? I'm not pulling off the BCM intermediate RE I just put on.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, there is.
    https://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-9...cer_p_282.html

Is there a better expedient/bandaid? I'm not pulling off the BCM intermediate RE I just put on.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That looks like it would leave the spring less compressed than a full diameter spacer. Would this be used with the rifle length spring rather than the carbine spring?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It will work long enough for you to get the right parts. For a proof of concept, I cut down and capped a plastic something or other for a sprinkler system to use as a spacer to test the effectiveness of a shorter buffer in a longer RE of a larger caliber AR. The spacer worked just fine (although the experiment was interrupted by extraction issues I've yet to address).

The only concern would if the quarters were to somehow block the vent hole at the back of the RE. I don't think they fit tight enough for that to happen. Pop the quarters in there and measure the stack up carefully. A quarter too many is better than a quarter too few. Then, go shoot. Using quarters for a spacer and shooting is better than not shooting while waiting for parts to come in who knows when
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast