Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fix the flyer?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Went through the rifle this morning checking for anything loose with the optics, but found everything was tight.

Having owned quite a few BCM uppers over the years, I've found all functioned perfectly but varied quite drastically in accuracy (precision). One government profile I had was atrocious and ended up sending it back to BCM, which they credited toward an upper with the 16-inch SS 410 barrel. That was the most accurate upper I ever owned, but I made the mistake of making the rifle way too heavy with my optic/stock/quad rail selections.

This BFH ELW upper is really amazing for it's weight, and all things considered ranks as one of the most accurate, perhaps second only to the SS 410. If I ignore the one-in-five flyers, it's actually very close to the SS 410. Though I'm still open to any other suggestions on what to look for, I beginning to believe that this is simply the characteristics of this barrel. Pinching the barrel to the end of the handguard, a very considerable amount of flex can be seen and barrel harmonics could certainly explain the performance I'm seeing. To put it in perspective, according to the BCM website the 16-inch BFH ELW barrel weighs 22 ounces, the 16-inch SS 410 weighs 33 ounces - the latter is obviously going to be much more rigid.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m not an AR accuracy expert but I have done some accuracy testing with other guns. I would try some 10 round groups to see if it’s just a single flyer, or if the groups just open up with more shots. If it is just a first or last round it should be pretty easy to figure out with a spotter.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Having owned quite a few BCM uppers over the years, I've found all functioned perfectly but varied quite drastically in accuracy (precision). One government profile I had was atrocious and ended up sending it back to BCM, which they credited toward an upper with the 16-inch SS 410 barrel. That was the most accurate upper I ever owned...
    A new BCM 16-inch SS 410 barrel inbound.

Rifle will still weigh south of eight pounds sans WML. If it performs anything like the last one I had, I'll be mighty happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How many rounds through that barrel?

I shot out an LMT barrel and that was the first symptom it showed was a random low flier. Within a few hundred more rounds it would string rounds vertically over about 18" at 200 yds.

edit: Can't remember who said it maybe sinister or F2S mentioned advanced throat erosion is the cause?
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 09-08-20 at 10:31.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    How many rounds through that barrel?
    Very low round count, definitely less than 1,000 perhaps as low as 500. I think it's simply the characteristic of a lightweight barrel. The fact that it puts 80% of the shots into near-MOA groups indicates that the barrel performs well for a lightweight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Load 12 rounds, shoot the first and last round off the target.

Fire the middle 10 rounds on target.

Also quite honestly I'd load up a full 30 round mag and shoot a 30 round group.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Re-barrel complete. I'll see how it let's 'em fly this weekend. :-)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Re-barrel complete. I'll see how it let's 'em fly this weekend. :-)
    Did you ever do any further testing on the last barrel or did you just walk away from it? I thought you said it was pretty low round count? It didn't seem like you ever confirmed something was wrong with it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Load 12 rounds, shoot the first and last round off the target.

Fire the middle 10 rounds on target.

Also quite honestly I'd load up a full 30 round mag and shoot a 30 round group.
    Second this, particularly with a LW barrel.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The new SS 410 barrel is performing admirably. After an initial break-in and sighting in, it's holding about 1.2 MOA with my go-to load (Speer LE 75 Gold Dot) with no flyers - this is with a 2.5x scope with the rifle on the bench and bags. Surprisingly the new barrel seems to like XM193, recording one group just over one MOA group and no group larger than two MOA. Target loads with the 77 OTM bullet do better than the 75 GD load, but I don't have much on-hand in those loads. I suspect with the right load and more magnification, this is easily a sub-MOA capable barrel.

Nothing else has changed with the rifle - same optic, and I'm even using the same magazine and the flyers have disappeared. Everything seemed in order when I removed the BFH ELW barrel. But even with the flyers, the barrel was still holding better than 3 MOA, and produced clusters in the 1.25 MOA range. All things considered, really not bad at all for a "pencil" barrel that weighs 11 ounces less than the new one.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast