Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent m1 carbine defense loads out there

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    In reference to what the op is talking about its not.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    That's correct. I was refering to the stories that the M1 ball was unable to penetrate the thick winter coats of North Korean/Chinese soldiers in the Korean War.

I was just Talking About that context. That a FMJ round is Always inferior to expanding rounds concerning the pure wounding capablities is not dabatable. But that's another Story. @ LimeSpoon.

@Ed L Thanks for your contribution to my thread. You stated some very interesting Facts. I have asumed as well that it could be problematic sometimes when using soft Point rounds in a gun that was designed for Ball rounds. I was not not just how sure how big the Problems might be.
    Last edited by iceman0085; 09-11-20 at 02:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those have been thoroughly tested and debunked.

30 carbine (7.62x33) 18in barrel.
    110gr around 2000fps and around 1000ft-lbs of energy. I don't know how thick or how much layers of ice a coat needs to have to act as armor.

Meanwhile....

357 magnum (9x33) 6in barrel
    Depending on the load....125gr around 1800fps and around 800fp-lbs energy is considered a "one shot man stopper."

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    .30 carbine FMJ has never had any problems penetrating clothing.

It does however possess legitimately poor terminal performance, and yes, this is relevant for HD ranges. 110 gr ball yaws relatively late (~6 inches) and would likely cause little wounding via temporary cavitation to most flexible tissues. Nor is the bullet large enough to make the crush cavity particularly substantial.

As mentioned - this is not exclusive to .30 carbine. .45 ACP FMJ and .30-06 M2 ball are also relatively poor (or in the case of .30-06, more just inefficient) performers, as were frankly most of the commonly used military loadings of the time. This is a quality of projectile behavior, not inherent cartridge characteristics.

An expanded .30 carbine soft point on the other hand almost certainly has sufficient drag coefficient and frontal area to inflict serious damage via temporary cavitation effects even in flexible soft tissues.
    Last edited by LimeSpoon; 09-11-20 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    I have put thousands of rounds through my 1944 Inland and all of the SPs/HPs feed fine from 15rd mags, 30rd mags are much more finicky feeders will all ammo, including FMJ. Most of the rounds I shoot are handloads with the Sierra 110 SP and it feeds and expands just fine. I would pass on the Federal SPs as I wasted money on a case of that stuff only to find that SP does not expand and I would have done just as well with a case of Federal FMJ. DRGKR gel-tested Rem, Win, and Federal SPs and found that the Rem and Win stuff did very well with good wound channels and penetration of less than 18"; the Fed SP did not expand at all and drilled through 26" of gel just like the FMJ. I have no experience with the Speer, Corbon, or S&B loads.

Feedback Score
    I have some Hornady 110 Gr FTX ammo which has a small hollowpoint filled with a polymer tip. I have not shot them and no idea how well they perform. I also have some Underwood 85 Gr Xtreme Penetrator, as yet unfired.

Feedback Score
    I decided not to edit the above post as it might not trigger a new post to the thread and I do have new or additional information or feedback. I will not be in a position to shoot for a long while so I took my M1 Carbine a 'New' Inland (One of the first new one in 2014 or 2015) I then took a known good 30 round magazine and tried to cycle the Hornady FTX, it did not cycle and I was not riding the bolt back. I confirmed that it would cycle regular 110 gr FMJ (Armscor) which worked okay, I then tried the Xtreme Penetrator from underwood. My gun just loved that stuff. I will get a little more Underwood.

So it does not go to waste, I will use the FTX in my 30 M1 Carbine caliber Ruger Blackhawk (I also have a 327 Federal Magnum Blackhawk hard to say which is loudest, like them both)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman0085 View Post
    Thanks to a recent change in the Austrian Firearms law I can finally get some old semi Auto guns. I have been a fan of the m1 carbine for quite some time and now I can finally get one.

Going to use it mainly for target fun Shooting, but I am still interested in it's possible applications as self defense carbine. At least until I get a 223 semi Auto rifle in the next 2 to 3 years.

I am quite sure that the 30carbine m1 ball rounds would to the Job despite some stories in in the Internet that Reports of many stopping power failures during the Korean War.

Anyway ball is not the best choice for a sd Scenario due to the Risk of overpenetration. I have read that there are some jsp rounds of the 30 carbine out there.

Is any jsp round from every manfacturer equally good, or would it be wise to buy a certain brand.

would be pleased hearing some opinions.

Greetings from Austria
    Glad they made some beneficial legal changes for gun owners. What's ammo availability like there for .30 Carbine? I don't know if you'd be able to get the Hornady Critical Defense load there, but if you can, it gets good ballistics reviews. Otherwise, I would say any JSP or JHP you can get would be preferable to FMJ for this cartridge specifically. Penetration will not be an issue and even the possibility of expansion is better than none. As I'm sure you're aware, .30 Carbine FMJ is not designed to "yaw" like 5.56.

Feedback Score
    @sundance435 Thanks for your Reply. Yes I am aware that .30 carbine FMJ rounds would not act on target like the 5.56 m193 or m855.

The ammo supply is quite good for such an exotic round I have to say. Until recently the m1 carbine was illegal here in Austria. Other guns using that round are also very rare.

Considering that fact the ammo supply is decent. Have not seen any Special sd loads though. Just the Standard ball, and jsp and stuff from Federal,Remington,S&B, magtech,ppu and Winchester.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, last Saturday a guy had a beautiful m1. Major malfunctions. Testimony was it had previously been running perfect.... with lacquered steel cases. The brass cased ammo wasn't even pretending to cycle with lacquer coated chamber....

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The point about rounds hanging up is, IMO, valid. I had similar with some rounds. Personally I'd just buy a box of whatever you can find. Find the most accurate ....I don't know, 3 rounds. Then maybe get 100-200 rounds of those styles and make sure you get consistent performance.

End of the day, 15 rounds (or 30, if your gun works with those mags) of 30 cal is going to ruin someone's day. I've toyed with the idea of using it in the house myself. Light, controllable, and a bunch of Italian bayonets came.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 01-20-21 at 07:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast