Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decent m1 carbine defense loads out there

Feedback Score
    Quite a bit of fair advice here. You really shouldn't become too concerned as to relative effectiveness of the .30 CaliberU.S. Carbine round. Yes, in the 110 FMJ version it will exhibit less performance that one of the expanding projectile types. However, as noted accurately above, the JHP / JSP types will provide exemplary performance within any reasonable combat range. IIRC, the Carbine was alleged [ by U.S. Ordnance Corps ] to be effective out to 300 yards, which IMHO is stretching it somewhat. Within 200 yards with the proper ammunition it will serve as required. Even now, years it's original inception the little 'Carbine, Caliber .30 M1' remains an excellent choice for pretty much any limited range 'area's defensive purposes. It's light weight short O.A.L., rapid fire, adequate magazine capacity, above adequate sights, etc. There are a few caveats though, prior to declaring 'your' Carbine as for for duty.
    1st ) It MUST function perfectly, & with your ammunition / load of choice. If at all possible, if it's an older production weapon, & or U.S.G.I. Surplus, especially an IMPORT example you should absolutely replace any / all of the relevant springs to ensure proper function when needed. NOTE that this testing includes any / all magazines you may use with it. [ Magazine springs do loose tension over the years. ]
    2nd ) Test fire your chosen ammunition for BOTH feed reliability, but also for accuracy in your particular weapon.
    Once ALL of the above has been accomplished, you 'should' by good to decree your handy little M1 Carbine as 'Good To Go' ! AND I'm closing, also noted above is how similar the .30 Caliber Carbine load is as compared to the .357 Magnum loading. Have you ever noticed the amount of people using a short little .357 Magnum Lever Action Carbine, as in the Winchester 94 Trapper, Marlin, Rossi, Umberto, & quite a few others. They all make an excellent short+ range, extremely handy weapon. Just remember to feed it properly, update springs & clean occasionally. OK, I hit you will no longer worry too much about using an M1Carbine for pretty much what it was initially designed for, As an short range, light weight, uncumbersome weapon for individuals who were not very well served by being issued the full sized 'main battle rifle'.

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    How old does the rifle have to be? Can it be a modern military caliber?

Perhaps a Ruger Mini-14 would be a consideration? They go back to the early '70's.

Probably more reliable than an M1 Carbine

Feedback Score
    @dpast32 Thanks for your advice. That's good information.

Ron3 Yes the Ruger Mini also a decent looking rifle. But actually my interest in the m1 carbine is primly historical. I am interested in it mainly because I think the design is interesting and I also like the history around it. The practical usage as self defense tool is only secondary. I am fully aware about it's shortcomings like the reliability. If the main focus was on practicality a modern semi auto rifle in 223 Remington would be a much better choice than the old m1. carbine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123