Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling for a practical bolt gun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sling for a practical bolt gun

Looking for a sling for my 6.5 CM Tikka bolt gun. It's configured to be a lighter carrying rifle, 20" barrel, 2-12x Leupy scope, weighs 7.7 lbs scoped and loaded.

Looking for the sling to be a fairly light and simple 2-pointer to attach with swivels, preferably a man-made material rather than leather. It will be used for two things:
    1. Carry
    2. Accuracy aid

Challenge is I don't have much experience with item (2), in a hunting rifle (always used bipods, blinds, or offhand). So I don't know what I don't know...

From a little research on using slings this way with "practical", "field", or hunting rifles, I see a few slings that MIGHT be what I'm looking for.

1. Wilderness Rhodesian sling
    2. T.I.S. Slip Cuff Precision sling
    3. VTAC hybrid padded sling. Ok I'll admit this isn't traditionally a bolt gun sling, but I threw this in there because (1) It looks like it would work for the way I want to use it, (2) I already have one and know I like using these with my AR's, though I've never used them with the AR's for anything other than carry.

Would be interested to hear feedback on these slings, or any I've missed that are worth looking at. Also, if anybody knows of some good tutorials on practical sling use (for accuracy) with hunting rifles, please share linkage.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use a Magpul RLS on my Marlin 336, and I plan to pick one up for my 10/22 at some point, though it’s primarily using the front stud for a bipod.
    It works as a basic carry sling, can be looped Rhodesian-style, and has a little adjustability built in. Works well for what I’m using it for, and very lightweight.

20 bucks.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great tip--read up on it, ordered one. Sounds like Magpul studied the slings out there that do precisely what I'm looking for, including the Rhodesian, and offered this as an improved model. It weighs roughly half of what my VTAC does.

Feedback Score
    Just get a regular old green cotton M1 sling. They're like 20 bucks, very adjustable, stay on your shoulder very well, dry fast, and make a good loop sling.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    On my lightweight rifles I use a Bandera Dominator sling. A little more money than the Magpul, but it includes QD swivels in the price. Super easy to adjust and about as light as a sling can get. There is no loop, so you basically only use it as a Hasty sling.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-09-20 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Anybody try RifleCraft’s slings?

https://rifle-craft.com/

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Anybody try RifleCraft’s slings?

https://rifle-craft.com/

Sent from 80ms in the future
    I have one on a Tikka T3X and I like it. It is well-made and works well as a shooting aid.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got the Magpul RLS and it looks great. Unfortunately the swivels that came with my Tikka aren't quite wide enough, I need a true 1.25" swivel. Ordered some GrovTec swivels.

Feedback Score
    Check out a proctor sling. I love them slowly converting all my rifles to to them. There is a padded and non-padded version. Adjustment is very quick and tight. I’m putting one on a bolt gun soon myself.
    http://www.frankproctorshooting.com/...-sling-padded/

Feedback Score
    You might take a look at the Turner saddlery GP biothane sling as well. It is very well made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast