Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to turn a stripped lower into a pistol lower and need Info on process.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I want to turn a stripped lower into a pistol lower and need Info on process.

I have a box of NIB Stripped lowers. What is the process to turn a NIB Stripped lower into a pistol lower? And change the Caliber from 5.56mm to Multiple Caliber Pistol lower?

Feedback Score

I want to turn a stripped lower into a pistol lower and need Info on process.

There is no process to do that once they have been transferred and recorded as a rifle. Once they are recorded as rifles during a transfer by a manufacturer they’re always rifles.

Edited:
    I thought you meant they had been rifles before.
    If they have never been recorded as a rifle, then they’re still a receiver and can be assembled as either. I assemble everything for myself as a pistol, take a picture of it, and then it’s a pistol forever, leaving me the possibility of temporarily configuring it with a shoulder stock (It must have a 16” or longer barrel and at least 26” OAL whenever a shoulder stock is attached). Done that way I can remove the stock and it’s back to being a pistol, even if the long barrel.
    However, although I’m an FFL, I am not a manufacturer. The way I understand it, only someone with a manufacturer’s license can manufacture a firearm to sell. A manufacturer then records it in his bound book as a pistol or rifle and pays the FET.

If they’re just receivers and have never been anything else, you don’t have to do anything.
    Last edited by Steve Shannon; 09-08-20 at 22:48. Reason: Maybe I misunderstood.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    The way I understand it, only someone with a manufacturer’s license can manufacture a firearm to sell. A manufacturer then records it in his bound book as a pistol or rifle and pays the FET.
    I'm not even an FFL holder, but that's the way I understand it as well. However, that only applies to complete firearms. Receivers are supposed to be recorded as being receivers. When transferred to a buyer, the "type" should be filled out as receiver, not pistol or rifle. See the linked 4473 below along with the associated instructions.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download

So long as Lawdog-1's FFL dealer filled out the 4473 correctly by listing the type as receiver, then he can make the bare receiver a rifle or pistol whenever he wants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok, I am the FFL. Does it matter about the Caliber on side of the receiver for pistol ? I want to use the lower receiver in 5.56mm & 300 Blk. No other paper work has been done since I logged 9 lowers in. 7 were Blems.
    Last edited by Lawdog-1; 09-09-20 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    I’m in Michigan. This is how I’ve been told folks do it.

Fill out the state pistol purchase record form, listing yourself as both the buyer and seller. List multi as the caliber and fill in the build’s barrel length. Drop off the form at your local police department. And it is recommended to keep a copy of the pistol purchase form with the gun. It can be rolled up and stuffed into the pistol grip’s hollow storage area.

If your state has a similar process, it might be a solution.

Edit To Add: If you are in Michigan, wanna sell a blem?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am in NC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog-1 View Post
    I am in NC.
    Well, it was worth asking! But after I posted I remembered that I have a stripped lower in my safe. Not sure what to do with it. might just hold onto it for a bit.

Feedback Score
    I would think that changing the caliber would not matter. No different then putting a 40-9 barrel in a Glock 17. I assume NC does not make you register firearms as i bought one down there a few years ago. If they were taken in as receivers, and you have don't nothing with them, you are good to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    I’m in Michigan. This is how I’ve been told folks do it.

Fill out the state pistol purchase record form, listing yourself as both the buyer and seller. List multi as the caliber and fill in the build’s barrel length. Drop off the form at your local police department. And it is recommended to keep a copy of the pistol purchase form with the gun. It can be rolled up and stuffed into the pistol grip’s hollow storage area.

If your state has a similar process, it might be a solution.

Edit To Add: If you are in Michigan, wanna sell a blem?
    That’s complicated. Glad I live in Florida.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What did the 4473 say when you got the lower? If it didn’t say “rifle” you should be good to go, right?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast