Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First rifle Armalite Ar10 need help with it?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advise yea i kinda figured i bought a sour choice for upgrades but when i say target shooting im not sure what a 20" would be good for distance wise and mainly im just going to be in standing position shooting at a typical target nothing moving. Oh an the gum ball machine is some old piece that my mom had so i took it.

Feedback Score
    Get it out to the range just like it is now. See what feels right and what might need some tweaking. See what the other guys are using and ask if you can take a few shots to see if you like their accesories. At least shoulder it and see if the fit is right. I built an M4 that went from a ban era bushmaster m4 clone to a well rounded battle carbine that suits my needs, but it took me 9 years and 2 wars to figure out what really worked for me.
    I understand the "cool factor" of having some different stuff on your rifle. But, you don't want to (or maybe you do) spend a lot of money figuring out what you want.
    A full size rifle like you've purchased is more suited for the long range stuff, I feel that a surefire or any other tactical light or laser on a long range weapon is overkill. On the other hand, the carry handle on your rifle keeps you from mounting true long range optics on it, without some issues.
    You might try to find a flat-top upper and trade it out.
    Just a run at what I've got and like on mine;
    Badger ordnance freefloat tube,
    magpul PRS stock,
    some aftermarked pistol grip that fits my hand real nice (of all the accesories, that's the one you'll want to feel out for yourself. Get your hands wrapped around it and really see what's going to work) I forgot what I've got, I think a CAA. It fits well.
    A harris bipod, but I end up using my pack to rest it on more often than the bipod. The bipod normally just keeps it off the ground while I'm doing other things.
    Optics are another thing that are really subjective. Do you want the super cool mil-dot scope that tactical marksmen are using? If you get it, are you ever going to use the mildot to do any ranging? How tough do you plan on being with the whole system? A high end scope from walmart might suit your needs, a $2000 scope from a tactical store online might be in order.
    If you end up turning it into a closer range (or try a multi-purpose approace) rifle, the options for optics choices are just as tricky and expensive. Either way, the topic of optics is worty of a topic that's probably already in motion on the forum.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Jason,

Just want to point something out. Hopefully I don't sound like a broken record. Your rifle should first and foremost be considered a weapon to defend yourself, your home or property. If you decide to target shoot, plink or paint it pink with purple gadgets then that is secondary.

The serious personnel here do not just buy shit to hang on their weapons. My weapons have lights- their purpose is to enable me to positively ID a target in a limited light situation. One of my carbines has an ACOG. It's use should be obvious. The other carbine has iron sights- it does what it needs to do.

I also have NVG's, a PEQ2, and other stuff. These were items that I purchased over time to use for my job. I also know how to use them. But until they are needed they won't be resting on my weapons.

Just something to think about. I would spend my money on some ammo and more mags and focus on getting proficient with it rather than buying a ton of cool guy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonstang88 View Post
    well to be honest yes i paid 1300 for it and it might get used a few times a month. Like i said its going to have no other purpose other than maybe some target shooting and who knows what else down the road. Just need some ideas on it and sorry if im confusing anyone on this.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Shoot it - shoot it a lot.

When you decide you want to scope it -- swap the upper for a flattop.

All my guns have lights - all but one Colt AR15A2 (Pencil barrel carbine) have optics.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12