Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Thunder Ranch rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The rifle in the pic above was their precision rifle. Clint would set it up with a long legged atlas bipod, with bipod canted forward 45* off a bench. He wanted a carbine gas 20” barrel. He shot it alongside us on the AR long range course. I think the price was over double what it should have been.

They sold other branded rifles alongside this with longer handguard that better matched the length of barrel for carbine and HD use.

The Thunder Ranch Noveske and ERA3 Clint signature were similar, with the long handguard, no forward assist, precision barrel. I don’t think the pic above is anywhere near the class of these last two, though it was priced as such.
    Why would he want a carbine gas 20” barrel?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    Why would he want a carbine gas 20” barrel?
    Reliability is what I heard. I questioned it too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Reliability is what I heard. I questioned it too.
    But isn’t the 20” rifle length gas the most reliable?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have heard the shorter the gas, the less it affects barrel harmonics. Hard to believe reliability increases with carbine gas and 20" barrel.

Either way, not a choice most would make.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have heard the shorter the gas, the less it affects barrel harmonics. Hard to believe reliability increases with carbine gas and 20" barrel.

Either way, not a choice most would make.

Andy
    With a freefloat forend the barrel harmonics are consistent and unaffected. No need for the carbine gas, literally dead centre of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    With a freefloat forend the barrel harmonics are consistent and unaffected. No need for the carbine gas, literally dead centre of the barrel.
    I absolutely agree there is no need for the carbine gas on a 20" barrel (or a lot of barrel lengths).

I should note that I have read the theory of shorter gas system yielding accuracy, I am not suggesting the theory is correct/it's not my theory. If it was valid, repeatable, and measurable, more people would be doing it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I absolutely agree there is no need for the carbine gas on a 20" barrel (or a lot of barrel lengths).

I should note that I have read the theory of shorter gas system yielding accuracy, I am not suggesting the theory is correct/it's not my theory. If it was valid, repeatable, and measurable, more people would be doing it.

Andy
    Agreed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think it is important to remember that at the end of the day, its about selling guns. Clint having a firearm that is the same as everyone elses means that it doesn't get sold. Clint having a weapon that is unique (in a very difficult market), means that he is attracting more people than he otherwise would have.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think it is important to remember that at the end of the day, its about selling guns. Clint having a firearm that is the same as everyone elses means that it doesn't get sold. Clint having a weapon that is unique (in a very difficult market), means that he is attracting more people than he otherwise would have.
    Selling something with your name on it, that makes absolutely zero sense as far as design goes, just to make a buck, is morally bankrupt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Someone already shared the video, but to summarize:

“These guys came to me and wanted to do a branded rifle. The only thing I really cared about was getting rid of the ********** forward assist, but they wanted more, so I was like, remove this material that isn’t important anyways, and girls can poke their fingers up in there for malfunctions and stuff.”

Absolutely no criticism of Clint Smith is intended by that. It’s just my takeaway.
    The Ares/Fightlite SCR has no forward assist, and I also noticed it has a much shorter, angled mag well. Perhaps it's easier to clear malfunctions on said gun without the cut out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123