Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Thunder Ranch rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Is that REAL...or just a made up meme?
    Man, if THAT atrocitiy is real..I just lost some repsect for the man. No way.
    From what I can recall(in addition to the already explained mag well) the short forearm was due to watching students move their hands closer and closer to the receiver as the day went along and to cut down on weight shoved out front.

I have switched a 15" rail to a 13" for roughly the same reason. That may look odd, but it wouldn't be front heavy.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    From what I can recall(in addition to the already explained mag well) the short forearm was due to watching students move their hands closer and closer to the receiver as the day went along and to cut down on weight shoved out front.

I have switched a 15" rail to a 13" for roughly the same reason. That may look odd, but it wouldn't be front heavy.
    Easy fix with a Arisaka indexer.

Feedback Score
    How much radiant heat does an aluminum hand stop transfer to the shooters hand during prolonged intense firing?

The Arisaka indexers look nice but I keep thinking the magpul polymer hand stop would be better.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    How much radiant heat does an aluminum hand stop transfer to the shooters hand during prolonged intense firing?

The Arisaka indexers look nice but I keep thinking the magpul polymer hand stop would be better.
    I use the short nub that comes in the Magpul handstop kit.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post

My FF rails get hot enough the handstop would be a non-issue.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-11-20 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    I use the Arisaka finger stop (never heard it called an indexer before) on the mil spec handguard. Nothing to do with heat, it just gives me a tiny bit more leverage pulling back. The handguard is the carbine, tapered version with dual heat shields. The finger stop fits between the ring and little finger. Works great, used M-lok mounting hardware on one of those lower vent holes.

Everyone respects Clint and his school. Trashing the forward assist certainly has merit. I have never used it. But don't you think the real function of this gun is its ability to scoop up huge royalty checks for Clint?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The indexer is new, it’s flatter than the finger stop so more comfortable between fingers. I have swapped out vertical grips for them as I started to adopt more C-clamp style of shooting in competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I know he used to recommend ONLY Noveske rifles (It was 2011 when I contacted him not sure when he started or quit).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The students moving their hand back wasn't a slippage or heat issue, but a fatigue issue. Mindset was the hand ends up closer to the receiver anyway and if the weight isn't out front acting as leverage then some fatigue can be delayed.

Whether agreed with or not, there was a thought process involved.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    The rifle in the pic above was their precision rifle. Clint would set it up with a long legged atlas bipod, with bipod canted forward 45* off a bench. He wanted a carbine gas 20” barrel. He shot it alongside us on the AR long range course. I think the price was over double what it should have been.

They sold other branded rifles alongside this with longer handguard that better matched the length of barrel for carbine and HD use.

The Thunder Ranch Noveske and ERA3 Clint signature were similar, with the long handguard, no forward assist, precision barrel. I don’t think the pic above is anywhere near the class of these last two, though it was priced as such.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast