Thread: Black Hills HoneyBadger

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Black Hills HoneyBadger

What is this and how does it work? It does not appear to have expanded in the gel shot. Why would one choose this over FMJ?

http://www.black-hills.com/product-c...y/honeybadger/

HoneyBadger™ — Our new line of ammunition that does not have hollow points. HoneyBadger™ doesn’t need hollow points and does not depend on them for performance. HoneyBadgers™ work every time, and like their namesake, HoneyBadgers™ DON’T RECOGNIZE NORMAL LIMITATIONS.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What is this and how does it work? It does not appear to have expanded in the gel shot. Why would one choose this over FMJ?

http://www.black-hills.com/product-c...y/honeybadger/

Think of a propeller blade causing the temp cavity in the gel just like it does in the water. Do I think it causes more damage than a FMJ, sure if the tissue is inelastic enough it can cause some horrific damage but I wouldnt choose it over a good expanding or fragmenting bullet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The gel shot has a notation "Initial yaw" and the bullet ends up backward. I guess it's designed to flip over. It does look a bit like a rocket with fins flying backward. Without fragmentation or expansion I don't know how much use that is. Odd that these are sold at a premium unless there's something else about them. Are hollow-point bullets banned in California or something?

http://www.black-hills.com/wp-conten...Badger-gel.jpg
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-10-20 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The gel shot has a notation "Initial yaw" and the bullet ends up backward. I guess it's designed to flip over. It does look a bit like a rocket with fins flying backward. Without fragmentation or expansion I don't know how much use that is. Odd that these are sold at a premium unless there's something else about them. Are hollow-point bullets banned in California or something?

http://www.black-hills.com/wp-conten...Badger-gel.jpg
    This type of bullet was never intended to flip or yaw to cause damage, in fact it would be counter productive to the design of the bullet to yaw since the cavitation is caused by the rotation of the bullet's front "propellers". FMJs and even expanded hollow points can end up backwards when they come to rest. If you look at the other Honeybadger's calibers some of them end up point forward. It just happened to do it the gel shot you were looking at.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-10-20 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wonder if this is the same bullet that Leigh Defense has been loading for years now.

Im a fan of the technology, as I have never really 'believed' in JHP's. My problem with them is this: no matter what, a hit in the A zone is a hit in the A zone. The only time a JHP theoretically help is with an edge hit. Like maybe a FMJ would have squeaked by that organ, but the expanded JHP just barely nicked it. No matter what both FMJ and JHP pistol rounds are traveling too slow to cause any kind of massive tissue damage that faster moving rifle bullets are famous for. You see that dudes arm in Kenosha? That's 55gr FMJ baby. OK, I don't actually know if it was 55gr, but Kyle was 17 and balling on a budget. Definitely, maybe. Anyways back to pistol rounds; this tech basically tries to impart the energy from the spinning bullet into the liquid you are made out of. Should be completely barrier blind and feed in any gun that FMJ's feed in. Two pretty significant cons of JHP.

Edit:

I just actually looked and couldn't find a price. Im sure its black hills so it will be pricey. I noticed though they are rocking a 100gr at 1250 FPS so that should be a spicy one to get hit by. Might also be low recoil cause its 15 gas less than even the lighter FMJ loads in 9mm.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 09-10-20 at 19:45.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I always thought these bullets would be a good substitute for the underwood heavy woods hard cast load. Say carrying a 9mm around your property with wild hogs present the extra penetration wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Just because it's a similar design, I thought this was interesting. Using Underwood 90g "Extreme Defender" at 25 yards from my G19, on a defenseless, plastic, Fairlife, water-filled milk jug. The entry "wound" showed the "cross point" of the round.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3WfBGGDZ97dAXXs7
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Well since this thread is 2 years old, I'm curious if this ammo has caught on? Have they sold a box of it yet?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis