Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who has luck with cheap / Franken AR's?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "High dollar" isn't the only alternative to cheap. When they were readily available, basic Colt carbines were around $1k. That's a good price for a top of the line basic AR and certainly not high dollar. At the time of this writing, new Colts are unavailable. But solid ARs from BCM, Sionics and other good makers are available for about the same price and are a good value for the money. They aren't high dollar ARs either.

There are more choices than having four cheap "back up" ARs in case you lose one or one irreplaceable "high dollar" AR. One can have a couple of reasonably priced ARs. But the harsh reality is, those guys that can't afford anything more than a $395 AR often load it up with "cool stuff" like cheap scopes, chinesium red dots, free float handguards, lasers, bipods, ceracoating and so on that put the total cost well into the high dollar category they "can't afford".
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-15-20 at 18:03.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    So in that scenario of yours, your safe or home is still available? It didn't happen while you were away at work? Or you always carry a rifle with you?
    I work from home, and typically do take an AR pistol with me most places I go in a backpack.

It's not "my" scenario. If I use a gun to defend myself and it's tied up in evidence for 6 months or a year I have others. I won't sweat it, it's a tool that served it's purpose. They don't keep them forever either, that's internet Fuddlore...unless it's not a justified shooting.

If some fantastical event transpired and all my guns magically were gone, I'd go buy more.

Quote Originally Posted by langss View Post
    Wow...I wish I could afford to be that "Cavalier" about things.....Does that mean if someone steals your Ferrari, you just pull another one out of the Garage.....
    Not being cavalier at all. The truth is often uncomfortable. The people I know who say they can't afford a $1000 Colt/BCM/SOLGW waste far more money per year on pointless expenditures. The people I know who complain about not being able to afford health insurance chose fields that don't provide it as a benefit. The people I know who complain about their social security not being enough to live on chose not to put anything away for retirement when they were young.

If I had a Ferrari and it was stolen, it would be insured. That's what responsible people do. They secure their belongs to the best of their abilities and in the unlikely event that they're stolen they're insured. Guns, vehicles, tools, they're all insured. Guns, ammo, and other possessions are kept in safes. If they're able to get past the security doors, dog, and inside my safes, they were very determined individuals. It doesn't ever surprise me to learn that people who cheap out on rifles also cheap out on or just don't even bother to own a safe.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 09-15-20 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Not being cavalier at all. The truth is often uncomfortable.
    It's entirely ridiculous to think that you are making anyone uncomfortable with anything you are saying.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    It's entirely ridiculous to think that you are making anyone uncomfortable with anything you are saying.
    Well, you reacted to it, so....
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 09-15-20 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    There is more than one way to react.

Feedback Score
    Gotta say I've had a lot better "luck" than the OP.

I've got a S&W M&P that went close to 10,000 rounds before the bolt broke.

Abused a Delton pretty good with no real failures of any kind.

Had an Anderson that cycled fine through a few thousand rounds, just didn't hold up to the "no-lube" claim it was supposed to. Over gassed for sure, but when lubed up it ran fine and was actually quite accurate.

Can't say I've ran any PSAs hard, but other than an accuracy issue with a 6.5 creed version, they've worked without issue.

I've built a few that continue to plug along. One SPR shoots quite well, but it doesn't get ran hard, just mainly used for longer range stuff with hand loaded heavy pills.

Feedback Score
    Still waiting on my 2nd Armalite.

If these rifles start giving me problems I'll probably try a complete DD or BCM. If those give me any trouble when they shouldn't I'll be done with AR's completely.

Feedback Score
    As I stated above, the 9mm project I put together was the only rifle I had any issues with, and that was Magazine related.... Anyone who knows anything about the Pistol Cartridge guns knows they do have some issues. That having been said....Since I don't know otherwise, I will have to assume all the "Kits" I bought at the Gun Shows were comprised of "Mil Spec" parts, and as of yet have not had any issues that would make me want to spend a bunch more money on some other Big Name just so I could say I have one. Besides the Colts I own, I also have an Olympic and several Stag, PSA Kits and even CMMG. Can I afford more expensive....Sure can, but the way I look at it...As long as it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and I do my part, Anybody or Anything on the receiving end isn't going to have any less holes in them than if I spend $2000 to do it or $475. Personally I like to build things...If kits were available in 1975 when I bought my SP1 for $275....I probably would have a Kit Gun and not the SP1. Once I found out I could just buy Kits/Parts...that's what I do. That may not be the "Thing" for everybody, but it works for me. Under Gassed, Over Gassed....I admit I know very little about any of that...Do I care where the brass lands, No its going into a Brass Catcher anyway. So again as long as they go bang, don't blow up in my face and hit somewhere close to where I was aiming, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Over the last twenty or so years that I've been participated in this Hobby, I've noticed we're constantly at the mercy of availability. Available full up AR's, Lowers, Uppers, barrels, lower parts kits etc.
    Years ago when times were difficult, the consensus was "A lower was a lower was a lower as long as it is in spec." kind of makes sense. So that reset the tone for a lot of people building at the time. Decent looking lower with a ugly spider on it, well, wtf, it works, so lets build on it.
    I would come here to search for LPK's, opinions on after market triggers and deals on uppers and barrels. Finding a 6920 was like finding a virgin 63 Impala, it just didn't happen.
    Guys were putting together some great stuff, not brand name mind you, but brand name high quality parts cobbeled together with some real research in to what they were doing. I mean it still happens here, but nowhere like it was then.
    Got a half dozen stills from a motion picture? Oh hell yeah, we can replicate that and put it all together over a couple of week nights after work. You dont see that so much anymore.
    I think with some study and attention to detail, you can build about anything you really want. Is it a "Frankengun?" I guess so, but it's still a hell of a gun.
    So, no I might not buy a Smith and Wesson AR, but build off what quality parts are available, of course.

Feedback Score
    My grandson milled out two 80% lowers, bought uppers, filled in the blanks himself. He say they are minimal with no frills right now but both his and his wife's frankenguns work perfectly.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast