Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has luck with cheap / Franken AR's?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have built many frankenguns that have run reliably for tens of thousands of rounds. What I don't get is how you build one for cheap...

Maybe it's just me

Dennis.
    Buy a PSA kit & lower on sale
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I think at the end of the day the recipe is simple: quality parts, correct assembly, competent builder = functional gun. Miss any of the 3 and you may end up with a pile of useless garbage. I’ve had success with home builds and it’s a great way to learn about the weapons functionality, but I now prefer to buy quality factory rifles. There are people out there who know far more about building ARs than me and have built far more rifles than me so why not let them do it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've built several carbines and AR pistols using DD, LMT, PSA, and UKN Gunbroker uppers. The only issues I have ever had was the DD did not like cheap Tula ammo and the Gunbroker 11.5" CAR15 clone upper was a bitch to mate with any lower I had. I had to actually use my brass hammer to knock the rear takedown pin in and out. Once together it worked just fine though. I've put thousands of rounds thru several PSA uppers and never had an issue.
    PS...Well I did have some issues with a CMMG .22LR upper on a Plum Crazy lower but it turned out to be a magazine issue and once I installed an adapter to use S&W .22 AR mags it ran like a champ!
    Last edited by sdacbob; 09-13-20 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Oh come on TWW. You’re not referring to Calguns are you? Maybe it’s because I mostly look at forums using Tapatalk now, so I see a lot more GD, but that place is starting to look like TOS and 4chan had a baby. Without the smart people.
    You KNOW it!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Well, a Franken gun can be very high quality. Stripped uppers and stripped lowers are just shells if they are in spec. Roll marks do not matter if you are building for personal use. No reason to chase roll marks unless you just want to impress others or try to maximize resale value. It wont be any less reliable if you fill those shells with good stuff.

Case in point: I had an old M&P 15 stripped lower laying around gathering dust. A similar left over Spikes M4 stripped upper. So, I decided to see whether they would support a precision 16" Recce type build.

Barrel: 16" Lilja M4 Navy (NSWC-Crane spec stainless match grade, Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist, pull button rifled, hand lapped.
    Rail: Daniel Defense 12" Modular Float Rail (MFR)
    BCG: WMD Guns NiB-X
    Charge Handle: Raptor
    Iron Sights: Magpul MBUS Pro front and Rear
    Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
    Rear Stock: Magpul ACS
    Grip: Magpul MIAD
    Harris 6-9" swivel bench bipod mounted on an ADM QD mount
    Lower parts kit was CMMG Gun Builders kit

Result: reliable cycling of all .223/5.56 ammo from cheap weak low power bulk, to full power 5.56, Mk262 77gr SMK to precision match handloads. With Berger match bullets ranging from 52gr match to Berger 80gr. Full Bore in Lapua Match cases, consistemt sub MOA and sub 1/2 MOA with some bullets.

Optics are QD mounted in LaRue return to zero mounts, either a mid powered mil/mil Leupold, or a 6-24x50 Burris target scope with fine 1/8 MOA reticle., both pre-zeroed for this rifle.

Only special prep was to lightly true the upper receiver face and to shim the barrel for a tight fit.

Starting with a more "prestigious" roll mark stripped lower or upper would not improve the quality, reliability or accuracy.
    Last edited by MS556; 09-13-20 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    Back in the late 90's, I bought a (No Name) kit at a gun show. I was curious just how hard it was to build one. I took it out to the range and believe me....for a grand total of $475.00, kit and stripped lower, its never had a problem. I later bought several more kits from different vendors, and again had no problems. The 9mm I built did have a few hiccups, but that was "Magazine" related. All of the PSA Kits I have bought, have worked with out issue. Frankly....if the gun goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and hits whatever I'm shooting at, with what ever brand of ammunition I have, I'm good with it. Back when all you could get was Colt, that's what I bought, but at today's prices....the Colts I have are out of reach for most people. So I see nothing wrong with shooting up a PSA, and when its worn out, grab another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any gun can break or malfunction. I don't consider that to be the end of the world. I've learned (the whole point?) MORE from guns that were not flawless to the point where I can actually Diagnose and properly repair guns. To me, that has value.

So, have I owned guns that were not Perfect? Yes. Do I STILL HAVE any malfunctioning guns....nope.....and I have, based on the posting I read here a lot more rifles than most people.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Any gun can break or malfunction. I don't consider that to be the end of the world. I've learned (the whole point?) MORE from guns that were not flawless to the point where I can actually Diagnose and properly repair guns. To me, that has value.

So, have I owned guns that were not Perfect? Yes. Do I STILL HAVE any malfunctioning guns....nope.....and I have, based on the posting I read here a lot more rifles than most people.
    I agree. The first AR I put together, I had no idea what to expect. It was a 20" completed upper, so I only put the Lower together, but still....on the side of my bed, over a copy of Shot Gun News, referring to the pictures and text in Duncan Long's book. I only had a reasonable expectation that everything would work, which it did. I still have that rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by langss View Post
    I agree. The first AR I put together, I had no idea what to expect. It was a 20" completed upper, so I only put the Lower together, but still....on the side of my bed, over a copy of Shot Gun News, referring to the pictures and text in Duncan Long's book. I only had a reasonable expectation that everything would work, which it did. I still have that rifle.
    Holy crap that's hilarious because I did EXACTLY the same thing- Duncan Long Green AR book the one with the Beman Air Gun sights recommendations? Quality Parts (Bushmaster) Highly recommended!!!....Brother, that is a LONG TIME AGO....But yea, that's how I got my start, crappy stamped out "armorers" wrench etc...Still have the book!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I sure don't.
    Man, I don't know what to say other than don't waste your money buying lottery tickets because it doesn't seem like you have any luck. While I certainly agree with the "buy once, cry one" sentiment, not all of us can afford that or couldn't when we started.

Why does everyone with a high $ rifle think that IF they ever have to really use it for an extended period of time, that it won't be lost, stolen, damaged, or shot? What do you when your rifle quits or is gone? Refuse to use a PSA? Sit it out until your new BCM arrives?
    Last edited by 09stanggt; 09-14-20 at 13:35.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast