Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who has luck with cheap / Franken AR's?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Are you going to train people and burn up barrels and bolts on a $1200-$2,000 ar that will last 20k rounds before a barrel and bolt change. Or would rather use a $300 dollar rifle and change the bolt at 15k rounds.
    In theory 15k-20k rounds is the avg life of bolts and barrels. Those are surplus items and can be swapped out and your rifle is "like new" again. that's how i always looked at the platform. With tech advancements they all should go boom, "should"...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Holy crap that's hilarious because I did EXACTLY the same thing- Duncan Long Green AR book the one with the Beman Air Gun sights recommendations? Quality Parts (Bushmaster) Highly recommended!!!....Brother, that is a LONG TIME AGO....But yea, that's how I got my start, crappy stamped out "armorers" wrench etc...Still have the book!
    That is so funny...The lower went together so easy, I was sure I must have done something wrong. I took the completed rifle out to the range, put 2 rds in a 20 rd mag, laid the rifle on a bag on the bench, covered it with a towel, tied a piece of string to the trigger and pulled the trigger...it cycled, and I was so excited I shot that rifle the rest of the day. When I got home I lubed the Colts and put them away. I still have that book...How did we ever get along before YouTube and the Internet.....lol......

Feedback Score
    I have several PSAs, a couple of Rugers, and a newer Bushmaster. Never had a problem with them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    While I certainly agree with the "buy once, cry one" sentiment, not all of us can afford that or couldn't when we started.
    It comes down to priorities. None of the people I know IRL who claim to be unable to afford anything but bottom bin bargain cobbled together rifles actually live in poverty, and they waste plenty of money on frivolous things like the most expensive satellite tv packages, tobacco products, booze, lotto tickets, and other things that separate poor people from their money. Or they own multiple bottom bin PSA weekly deal specials instead of putting that money toward two good rifles. They are poor minded and choose temporary instant gratification rather than being patient, saving a little more, and getting what they really want.

Most of the time, it's really nothing more than a hobby to them anyway. They don't really think they'll ever be in a situation where they need to use it to defend themselves or their family, so they turn on the tv, fire up another Marlboro, crack open a Budweiser, scratch off that lotto ticket, and see what that extra $399 in their bank account can buy from PSA this month.

Why does everyone with a high $ rifle think that IF they ever have to really use it for an extended period of time, that it won't be lost, stolen, damaged, or shot? What do you when your rifle quits or is gone? Refuse to use a PSA? Sit it out until your new BCM arrives?
    I would pull another "high $" rifle out of my safe and move on with life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    Man, I don't know what to say other than don't waste your money buying lottery tickets because it doesn't seem like you have any luck. While I certainly agree with the "buy once, cry one" sentiment, not all of us can afford that or couldn't when we started.

Why does everyone with a high $ rifle think that IF they ever have to really use it for an extended period of time, that it won't be lost, stolen, damaged, or shot? What do you when your rifle quits or is gone? Refuse to use a PSA? Sit it out until your new BCM arrives?
    Your right I dont buy lotto tickets. But when I get them as gifts I've never won more than $2 or another ticket. I play that house money until its gone.

I've had a new Glock, new revolvers, and new (used kit) AK's that didnt work from the box.

I just got a replacement Beretta Tomcat in the mail to replace the one that broke its frame AND its slide. (The bar that holds the halves together broke off while firing)

I dont abuse guns. I keep them pretty clean and replace worn springs, etc.

This is also why I normally carry two guns. I cant trust any of them too much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    So in that scenario of yours, your safe or home is still available? It didn't happen while you were away at work? Or you always carry a rifle with you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    It comes down to priorities. None of the people I know IRL who claim to be unable to afford anything but bottom bin bargain cobbled together rifles actually live in poverty, and they waste plenty of money on frivolous things like the most expensive satellite tv packages, tobacco products, booze, lotto tickets, and other things that separate poor people from their money. Or they own multiple bottom bin PSA weekly deal specials instead of putting that money toward two good rifles. They are poor minded and choose temporary instant gratification rather than being patient, saving a little more, and getting what they really want.

Most of the time, it's really nothing more than a hobby to them anyway. They don't really think they'll ever be in a situation where they need to use it to defend themselves or their family, so they turn on the tv, fire up another Marlboro, crack open a Budweiser, scratch off that lotto ticket, and see what that extra $399 in their bank account can buy from PSA this month.

Wow...I wish I could afford to be that "Cavalier" about things.....Does that mean if someone steals your Ferrari, you just pull another one out of the Garage.....
    Last edited by langss; 09-15-20 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Franken guns" are fine if you know what you're doing, and use decent parts. Cheap where you can, quality where it's essential.

If every damn part in the gun is the absolute cheapest quality you could find, that level of tolerance stacking can be bad joo-joo.

The way to build on the cheap is, not always to buy the cheapest retail, but scour this board and others for steals and deals, and even trades.

Feedback Score
    People who spend a lot on their ARs need to let others know. The 1911 world is the exact same. When two products fill the same niche, but one costs 4x that of the other, price will become a symbol of status.

This conversation isn't "What do you do with your expensive AR?" for a reason. It would instantly derail when nothing that special emerges and people start speculating about things they could be doing, but aren't.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast