Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offset red dot with ACOG recommendations

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Offset red dot with ACOG recommendations

I'm old school, and still really like ACOGs. For this particular rifle, I'm considering getting an offset red dot.
    Recommendations for which ones and which mounts seem to work best with the TA31 ACOG?
    Thanks
    Last edited by masakari; 09-18-20 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I've gone back and forth on this subject, and while not the answer to the question you asked, I have come to prefer a 12:00 red dot in conjunction with another "primary" optic.
    Justification:
    Shooting from left shoulder or right shoulder is identical.
    Shooting from left side of cover or right side of cover is identical.
    Shooting from close to ground positions, or with a heavily canted rifle is identical from left or right tilt.
    Can use with NODs as a passive aiming device.
    Can use with protective mask easier.
    Can maintain a high head position, better for tasks that have the gun frequently shouldered for extended periods.
    Reduced snag on the sides of the gun, where it matters most.
    Fast method to grossly aim at a target and then drop into the primary optic if magnification is needed.

These, for my use, outweigh the perceived negatives of a higher jaw position on the stock and the higher LOS over bore.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've gone back and forth on this subject, and while not the answer to the question you asked, I have come to prefer a 12:00 red dot in conjunction with another "primary" optic.
    Justification:
    Shooting from close to ground positions, or with a heavily canted rifle is identical from left or right tilt.
    Can maintain a high head position, better for tasks that have the gun frequently shouldered for extended periods.
    Fast method to grossly aim at a target and then drop into the primary optic if magnification is needed.

These, for my use, outweigh the perceived negatives of a higher jaw position on the stock and the higher LOS over bore.
    No need to alter your cheek weld.

Just rotate the rifle and use your non-dominant eye.

You’re welcome, brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post

You’re welcome, brother.

Huh? Are you talking about with a 45 degree offset?

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Justification:

Those are all valid points, and that's why I used a RMR on top of my ACOG when I was on the SWAT team. It was especially useful for when using a gas mask, which was pretty much all the time.
    This rifle, however, has a different purpose, and if I do something red dot related on this rifle, it will be offset.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    This rifle, however, has a different purpose, and if I do something red dot related on this rifle, it will be offset.
    What's the purpose? Interested because I'm thinking this through as well, though for a different type of primary optic.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    You’re welcome, brother.
    I have about 15 years of collective use of both top-mounted and offset RDS, and rotating to the other eye was viable in far fewer instances than I had hoped when directly compared to simply raising my head. But, my use has potentially 0% concern for yours.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Those are all valid points, and that's why I used a RMR on top of my ACOG when I was on the SWAT team. It was especially useful for when using a gas mask, which was pretty much all the time.
    No worries, I totally understand doing something because that's what you want to do, and I have no intention to turn this into a challenge of your desire.
    Best wishes in your search.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    No worries, I totally understand doing something because that's what you want to do, and I have no intention to turn this into a challenge of your desire.
    Best wishes in your search.
    Yeah man, no problem at all there. I do appreciate your insight and I actually do agree with you, like I said for my duty rifle it was advantageous to have the red dot on top. But for this rifle, I have no intention of use with a gas mask, and only minimal intention of non-dominant use around corners. as I am certainly used to using an ACOG for close range shooting anyway, I would just revert back to that in those circumstances.
    I definitely understand that there are circumstances where a red dot off to one specific side won't work as well, but for this rifle I'm looking to try it out to see how I like it.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    What's the purpose? Interested because I'm thinking this through as well, though for a different type of primary optic.
    This is just a general purpose rifle. An infantry fighting rifle I guess.

For me, with a low power variable optic, I prefer to save the space, bulk, and weight and stick with just that optic. Not that there isn't still a utility for having another optic, but I find it less critical. But with ACOGs, I found that it might be worth it to have an additional red dot for instantaneous switching between 1x and 4x. That's what I want to test out on this rifle. I used to actually have one, but would like to give it another shot. If I don't find it worth it, I'm totally fine with just sticking with the ACOG.
    Last edited by masakari; 09-13-20 at 13:27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast