Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a stupid idea?

Feedback Score

Is this a stupid idea?

It's been hard to concentrate on work with all the wildfire smoke so I made a doodle to have fun on a miserable Friday.

The context to this is that I've been enjoying the newest crop of high performance 18560/18530 rechargeable lights like the Modlite, and got to thinking about what a 18530 powered pistol light would be like. There are rechargeable pistol lights, but they all look like they use proprietary batteries.

Feedback Score
    Not a terrible Idea. Best case would be someone like streamlight using modlight heads and the batteries they use.

I think the current offerings are pretty good though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not as stupid as getting involved in a land war in Asia.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I think Surefire's new subcompact light is a look into the future. Rechargeable battery cartridges that allow the light to be shorter, thinner, or both. Everything about the TLR-1 and X300 is designed around the CR123 form factor. Current very high yield LEDs are killing the CR123 because they can't safely or adequately provide enough juice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    LOL - I figured that the OP's screen name was a reference to the movie, so I responded with one.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Fkn funny. MM, thank you.

I have a couple of rechargeable handheld lights that I use when walking the dog's gun in tote at night. Its hard to kill the lights, they just go on and on and on. The technology is souring. I have recharged only once in months.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-13-20 at 16:28.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Fkn funny. MM, thank you.

I have a couple of rechargeable handheld lights that I use when walking the dog's gun in tote at night. Its hard to kill the lights, they just go on and on and on. The technology is souring. I have recharged only once in months.

PB
    Meanwhile I'm over here changing out 123's constantly on WML's, just waiting for someone to come up with a good (not you Olight) rechargeable WML....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Meanwhile I'm over here changing out 123's constantly on WML's, just waiting for someone to come up with a good (not you Olight) rechargeable WML....
    Copy that, it will get there for sure. I'm looking forward to it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    When I was working, I preferred replaceable flashlight batteries. Eventually, I could almost standardize myself with CR123 batteries instead of a variety of battery sizes (CR123, AA, C, D).

-Some of my work flashlights stayed at work in a locker. I didn't have a convenient power outlet in the locker room available, although some officers found the few located around the walls. There was one department which remodeled its locker room and each locker had power outlets (a very nice touch), but I didn't work there.

-The patrol vehicles were also limited in accessory outlets and weren't always functioning. I did try rechargeable Streamlight flashlights. I still felt the need to carry backup flashlights with regular batteries (alkaline or lithium) which I could replace or even buy extra batteries while driving around in my patrol car.

This was before personal GPS units became more or less popular. Now, I hear the county no longer even issues a map book anymore. Before retiring, I started using a personal iPad, but this relied on cellular coverage which wasn't always available in some of the rural areas. The point is, these devices needed to use the 12V vehicle accessory outlet during the shift, too.

-At home, after work, it was enough to remember to put my two radio batteries on the charger, switching the batteries on the single battery charger once one was charged for the other.

I suppose I'd just have to add weaponlights on my list of things to put on a charger than just my cell phone, flashlights, computer/datapads, bluetooth earphones, and maybe multiples/duplicates of those. I'm thinking how it may be inconvenient needing to recharge a weaponlight.

Edited to add:
    I mean having to take the pistol w/WML out of a holster just to plug in a cable to the WML; or do I remove the WML from the pistol; or do I leave the pistol with WML on a table while charging; and do I bother unloading the pistol if I leave the WML mounted; how long does a charge last. I think I'm liking just having a spare battery to swap/exchange if it indeed must be rechargeable.
    Last edited by L-2; 09-14-20 at 16:46.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast