Thread: Dot Size of RMR Back Up Sight

Feedback Score

Dot Size of RMR Back Up Sight

I'm going to mount an RMR in a TREX offset mount at a 35° angle with my LPVO and my question is:

What dot size?

I'm leaning toward a larger dot size to make picking up the dot more easy when needing to do so quickly. What dot sizes are guys using with their LPVO offset RMRs?

I understand that the larger the dot the more MOA it will cover on the target, but since my purpose in using the RMR is to make closer range quick shots easier that is not as much of a concern, at least that is what I'm thinking).

I was looking over the dual-illuminated Trijicon RMR models and see they offer up to a 13 MOA dot.
    Last edited by JWill1776; 09-12-20 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I think you’re over thinking it a little. Have you had any issues picking up a 2 MOA dot on a normal 12:00 mounted RDS?

Conversely, if the offset RMR is a close range optic only, even 6 MOA dot only covers 3” at 50Yds for example.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't see how a larger dot would make for faster acquisition unless the smaller dot has limited brightness? A 65 MOA circle with dot is useful as if you get out of position enough to lose the dot the edge of the circle can guide you to it.