Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Brownells is a ghost of it's past

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    One thing I will give Brownells is they are persistent. Look at one item and they start sending you emails for that item like a used car salesman.

"You want to check this out again? C'mon, you can afford this!"
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    I have limited experience with Brownells but for the few ordered I've placed, I've never had an issue. My go-to places are:

BCM
    Rainier Arms
    Arms Unlimited
    DSG
    Primary Arms
    Aero Precision

It just depends what I need, who has stock and how fast I need it. Right now is a bad time to judge any distributor with how crazy the market is right now.

Feedback Score
    I use them all the time. Depends on what you order I guess. Some things, I click order, and they're at my P.O. Box in like 4 or 5 days. Other things, like a .303 British shell holder... 3 weeks. Like everybody, their AR stuff is hit, and miss. (mostly miss these days due to the demand)
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Mindblown
    Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.
    I honestly didn’t know they still mailed them out. Seems like a complete waste of advertising funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    HERE'S the $64 question!

WHY did they stop carrying aluminum mag bodies?!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    I said I was using their catalog, not the *&^%$#*( internet )
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Mindblown
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    1985 called and wants it’s customer back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lol this is amazing.

A paper catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    I honestly didn’t know they still mailed them out. Seems like a complete waste of advertising funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't ready for this plot twist that's for sure.

Feedback Score
    I don't know that it is a ghost of its past, but it is nothing like it was back in the 70's and 80's. It used to truly be a gunsmithing supply house, when gunsmithing was more than screwing parts together to built an AR.

Their print catalogs were awesome. There would be several pages of just checkering tools. Entire sections of the catalog with all sorts of files, abrasives, machine tools, etc. for metal working and finishing. Every imaginable concoction of wood finishing magic sauce. There were jigs for everything. Books on stock carving from Monty Kennedy, Pistolsmithing from George Nonte. Good times.

But, I think the days of checkered walnut stocks, and blued, polish steel are largely behind us.

Today, they are more retail oriented. sort of a Cabelas that also sells AR parts.

Feedback Score
    Brownells is a far larger and financially more successful business than they were in the 1970s.

As for checkering tools from Brownells here is what they offer. I had the website display 96 items, and .... here you go.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...x.htm?psize=96

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    I don't know that it is a ghost of its past, but it is nothing like it was back in the 70's and 80's. It used to truly be a gunsmithing supply house, when gunsmithing was more than screwing parts together to built an AR.

Their print catalogs were awesome. There would be several pages of just checkering tools. Entire sections of the catalog with all sorts of files, abrasives, machine tools, etc. for metal working and finishing. Every imaginable concoction of wood finishing magic sauce. There were jigs for everything. Books on stock carving from Monty Kennedy, Pistolsmithing from George Nonte. Good times.

But, I think the days of checkered walnut stocks, and blued, polish steel are largely behind us.

Today, they are more retail oriented. sort of a Cabelas that also sells AR parts.
    I disagree.
    Monte Kennedy’s book is still there:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod12613.aspx

George Nonte’s book is also listed, currently out of stock, but available for back ordering:
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod42457.aspx

Brownells does everything it can to keep these alive. Spreading unfounded rumors of their passing is damaging to their reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast