Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace & Buffer Tube Questions.....

Feedback Score

Pistol Brace & Buffer Tube Questions.....

Howdy!

With the lack of ARs in many locales I had been having trouble finding what I wanted; a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7. I stumbled upon a DDM4 V7 P pistol last week back home (I'm traveling) and snagged it!

I don't know anything about AR pistols (have owned carbines). This was the only AR I could find in stock anywhere and with such a demand I had to actually pay in full as they wouldn't even take a deposit. So I rushed the buy a little bit...

It has the folding stock which I may or may not like; the Law Tactical GEN 3-M AR Folding Stock Adapter.. Is it something that is easily swapped out? If so would the existing buffer tube simply fit on the lower or would I need to get another.

I understand the legal issues with braces vs. stocks but are they universal sizes? In other words would any brace fit on or are some buffer tube specific?

Any good resources for AR pistol options? Muzzle devices etc? Seems like they are on the edge of legality and certain mods could be problematic; even if done legally such as making an SBR with tax stamp....

Thanks!

Whalstib

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The LAW adapters are actually a well made product. I have used a few and was surprised at how solidly they locked up. I initially dismissed them and thought they would cause the stock/ brace to rattle. You can easily remove the law adapter and use your standard buffer tube, castle nut, buffer and spring. The adapter can be easily sold here on the EE. I would leave it. It makes it easier to stick the pistol in a backpack

The best pistol braces are the sba3 or sba4. A4 is a bit nicer in my opinion. More sturdy. No flex in the part that wraps around your arm. Both of these use standard, mil spec diameter buffer tubes.

Modifications to the brace are what get you in trouble. You purchased a factory built pistol. Put a pistol brace on it and leave it alone. No legal issues.
    Last edited by signal4l; 09-12-20 at 23:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with the above except for the part about A4 being superior. In the context of a folding pistol I must disagree. The SBA3 is slimmer and may fold to a more compact overall size in a bag than the bulkier SBA4. It's a tradeoff tbh; the A4 is no doubt sturdier with better cheekweld but it's also heavier and bulkier. The A3 can collapse (more of an overlap than a collapse, really) in the part that goes around your arm. To be honest I've never found it to be an issue when I *ahem* occasionally shoulder the pistol. It's more of an issue you notice when handling the gun than shooting it.

My bedside/backpack gun has a Law and an SBA3 and I find it quite adequate. I'd strongly advise sticking with these two braces versus others in the "pistol" market, as these fit on a standard receiver extension and are adjustable for length of pull

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    The LAW adapters are actually a well made product. I have used a few and was surprised at how solidly they locked up. I initially dismissed them and thought they would cause the stock/ brace to rattle. You can easily remove the law adapter and use your standard buffer tube, castle nut, buffer and spring. The adapter can be easily sold here on the EE. I would leave it. It makes it easier to stick the pistol in a backpack

The best pistol braces are the sba3 or sba4. A4 is a bit nicer in my opinion. More sturdy. No flex in the part that wraps around your arm. Both of these use standard, mil spec diameter buffer tubes.

Modifications to the brace are what get you in trouble. You purchased a factory built pistol. Put a pistol brace on it and leave it alone. No legal issues.
    Thanks!

I like the idea of the sturdier A4 design and may opt for that.

Looks like it comes mounted on a buffer tube so a bit of disassembly as opposed to just sliding on the existing which is an SOB.

Am I right about that?

Thanks!
    Whalstib

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I agree with the above except for the part about A4 being superior. In the context of a folding pistol I must disagree. The SBA3 is slimmer and may fold to a more compact overall size in a bag than the bulkier SBA4. It's a tradeoff tbh; the A4 is no doubt sturdier with better cheekweld but it's also heavier and bulkier. The A3 can collapse (more of an overlap than a collapse, really) in the part that goes around your arm. To be honest I've never found it to be an issue when I *ahem* occasionally shoulder the pistol. It's more of an issue you notice when handling the gun than shooting it.

My bedside/backpack gun has a Law and an SBA3 and I find it quite adequate. I'd strongly advise sticking with these two braces versus others in the "pistol" market, as these fit on a standard receiver extension and are adjustable for length of pull
    Good points. A3 is slimmer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Thanks!

I like the idea of the sturdier A4 design and may opt for that.

Looks like it comes mounted on a buffer tube so a bit of disassembly as opposed to just sliding on the existing which is an SOB.

Am I right about that?

Thanks!
    Whalstib
    Post a picture of your pistol. Members here can tell you what you need to do to set it up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Post a picture of your pistol. Members here can tell you what you need to do to set it up
    Haven't picked it up yet... this Friday!

Bought over the phone from a local store back home and they said exactly this model:

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4rv7rp-...128-16550.html

Attachment 63737

Feedback Score
    There’s nothing sketchy about that model. It’s yours, so of course you can switch it up however you want, but I would suggest leaving it just the way it is until you have something specific in mind. Those are all high quality components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I run that same SOB brace on several of my pistols. For a fixed brace IMHO it’s the most comfortable.
    Unless you want to go to an adjustable brace or a folder, which is gonna involve changing out your buffer tube, keep it.

I agree with the above, it’s a good pistol out of the box. Go shoot it.

Feedback Score
    Picked it up today!

Wow! Am I glad I leaped upon it when I did!

Another question being of short stature the brace is almost perfect to use as a "rifle" against my shoulder. I don't want to get i to the semantics and legal issues BUT does the A4 with adjustable brace extend a little further?

I'll of course shoot as-is first but curious...

Thanks!

W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast