Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Upgrade

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have tried a LaRue MBT-2s and it has a very nice break but I wouldn't call it "quicker" either. However some of the match triggers have an extremely short travel and should be a lot quicker in the right hands. For example look at the two stage Triggertech video clip on https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-triggers/

(reply to both turnburglar and scooter22)
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-14-20 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jev View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I prefer a single stage trigger I know Geiselle has one model but out of stock everywhere. Open to other brands.
    I believe in the zen of the two stage trigger. It really is the way to go for a multi use rifle. If you are set on a single stage, I have no advice to offer.

I bet that the Geissele SSA is one of the most liked/loved premium triggers around. Also, the SSA-E, is a great trigger for longer shots, but it is pretty light for combat type work. There is something about the SSA, it just works.

The bargain 2 stage trigger is the LaRue MBT2, excellent for less than $100.

Like I said, I got nothing on single stage for the OP.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 09-14-20 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Before dropping money in a new trigger, clean up the one you've got now.

Remove the FCG (Fire Control Group) from your AR and clean it with solvent or really hot water & crush soap to remove any oil, grease or preservative.

Grease the sears, the pin holes and the bottom curve of the hammer and reinstall.

Next, without the upper installed, work the trigger while watching your favorite show. You do this by cocking the hammer, then pull up on the hammer against the sear s with one hand and press the trigger with the other. Not too hard, though. You don't want to chip or round the corners of the sears. Degrease and repeat as necessary. This will smooth out the sear contact areas and get rid of the crunchentick feeling of the factory trigger. The trigger pull will be greatly improved.

Don't let the hammer slip from your fingers and bang against the lower. This will eventually damage your lower.

Another thing- if the trigger is installed dry, it doesn't matter how good the trigger is. It'll feel like a dump truck load of gravel found its way into the lower. Grease your triggers, boys & girls!
    When working a trigger I just take a piece of terry cloth or an old sock and fold it over a few times and jam it between the hammer and receiver. That way I can just pull the trigger and the hammer will just hit the cloth, and I don't have to worry about the hammer contacting the receiver.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I have tried a LaRue MBT-2s and it has a very nice break but I wouldn't call it "quicker" either. However some of the match triggers have an extremely short travel and should be a lot quicker in the right hands. For example look at the two stage Triggertech video clip on https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-triggers/

The non adjustable (i think its called “ar combat”) Triggertech is in fact quite fast. But it does not retain its pins via conventional means, rather though a set screw tensioning contraption. Its very nice to shoot, though.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-14-20 at 20:32. Reason: Can’t type

Feedback Score
    Thanks fo all the advice, Think I’ll buy one new trigger for my 556 and see before I buy multiple. Can’t find the LaRue or Geiselle I want though?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The LaRue MBT-2s is $87 shipped, direct from LaRue: https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The non adjustable (i think its called “ar combat”) Triggertech is in fact quite fast. But it does not retain its pins via conventional means, rather though a set screw tensioning contraption. Its very nice to shoot, though.
    Does it appear robust enough for serious use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've stopped buying "G" SSA's and switched to LaRue MBT-2's. I am totally happy with them at 1/2 the price of the G triggers.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Does it appear robust enough for serious use?
    Its method of retaining the pins is foreign to me, and leaves me wondering about trustworthiness. I need more time on it, but it does not strike me as a serious trigger despite my feelings that it is both safe and awesome in feel.

Mine’s in a gun that I am using to experiment with recoil reduction and split times. My goto gun has a Wilson TTU “Paul Howe”.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Shorter travel and lighter engagement definitely = faster speed between shots. Very easy to tune some so light that you better be careful and paying attention lest...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast