Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Guys Think of 22 Magnum?

Feedback Score

What Do You Guys Think of 22 Magnum?

I am shopping for a hand gun. With the ammo shortage as it is maybe the thing to do is reverse engineer the gun starting with ammo and ammo availability. There are lots of videos and ads out there for cool looking plastic handguns using 22 magnum. What is the deal on 22 magnum for self defense purposes? Does it have enough stopping power. As a complete novice to hand guns I was told I need at least 38 caliber in a self-defense weapon but these 22 magnum rounds at least LOOK impressive. What is the real deal?

Feedback Score
    It is below the minimum standard but I have carried a pair of North American Arms revolvers this week.

They meet the minimum standard for penetration.

Rimfire can be less reliable in my experience making me hesitate in a semiautomatic.

That Keltec pistol looks fun to experiment with but if I’m carrying something of that size, I’d be carrying a larger caliber, anyways,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    .22 Magnum out of a handgun has never impressed me much, a longer rifle barrel fits the cartridge better, IMO.

Stopping power really isn't a thing. What you want is a combination of expansion and penetration. The Speer Gold Dot .22 mag round (30 grain, as I recall) seems to meet the minimum requirements.

In general, a properly constructed bullet in 9mm or .38 Special is the most commonly recommended starting point. I have no experience with the .380 but there seems to be enough quality self defense rounds available that it may be GTG as well.

My .02

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    22 magnum from a handgun is about equivalent to HV 22 LR from a rifle. It would be pretty far down my list of defensive firearms.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just ran a 600 round pistol class. A guy next to me brought the Kel-Tec and had constant problems. I’d be cautious considering it for defense.
    Off topic, my VP9 had 0 issues. 2 Glocks choked pretty hard, but it was unknown quality reloads that were the problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    With the ammo shortage as it is maybe the thing to do is reverse engineer the gun starting with ammo and ammo availability.
    What ammo shortage?

By this logic, 9mm is the most common handgun round in the world, so go with that. (And I say that as a .40 fan, who doesn't even own a 9mm. Not one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    What is the deal on 22 magnum for self defense purposes?
    I would do this only in dire emergencies... The same way that in a pinch I might reach for a 20ga loaded with birdshot, or a fireplace poker, or a can of oven cleaner.

If 9mm is too big, then go .380ACP. If the micro .380s are too big for you, then don't bother...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ammo is in short supply, but you can find home defense ammo so stick with 9mm. If you want to practice with 22 mag, great idea. Or 22 long for that matter.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ammo is in short supply...

Not at my house...

Just wait until the current panic is over, and then buy it cheap and stack it deep, and you'll never experience another "shortage."

Feedback Score
    Since you are asking for friendly advice...

22 Magnum out of a handgun would not be a recommendation from me, especially for SD.

Even when dividing by the ammo shortage, 22 Magnum isn't made in the quantity that makes it an obvious solution to shortages.

Take the time to wait for at least a 9mm or greater. The 22 Magnum handgun is a niche solution for places that require "rimfire" for hunting, it's not really an SD or target accuracy cartridge.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A 147 grain Gold Dot should do a much better job than a 30 grain Gold Dot.

Food for thought.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast