Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Brightness Issues? Answered

Feedback Score

Aimpoint Brightness Issues? Answered

New guy, long-time lurker, very active on the other site. I've seen a few comments and threads about newer Aimpoints and brightness/dimness issues. I spoke with some industry guys a few weeks ago as I own multiple T2's, have had five T1's, and a few of my T2's are noticeably dimmer than older T2 models (or T1's).

Recently, Aimpoint decided to throttle the LED output where newer model brightness settings are one level behind older models. So, new model 10 = old model 9. I do not have a correlation to SN#'s for this effect, but there may be one imperfect tell you have a new vs. old model. Newer Aimpoints have a new logo where it looks more chemically etched than engraved like an old one. There is also a small dot in the "O" of Aimpoint on the newer logo. If you have this logo, it is likely you have an SN# of 43xxxxx-46xxxxx+ and may also have the updated brightness settings.

We don't know why Aimpoint made this change. If others never had an older Aimpoint, they'd likely not notice or complain about it. Those that have older and newer...this is what happened. And no, the battery life is not changed in the sense that the new 10 (same as older model 9) has more battery life than an older model at 10. The batteries drain at the same rate (10ish months on setting 10), but again, newer models need to be turned up one more setting for its equivalency with older brightness settings.

Lastly, this explanation won't characterize all models and brightness issues. Some may have a defect though not common with this high quality of an RDS. But many will be in this description above.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Mine is/was sn# 4639xxx and I noticed that it seemed to only be visible on setting 10+, even for indoor use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Mine is/was sn# 4639xxx and I noticed that it seemed to only be visible on setting 10+, even for indoor use.
    That is different than my experience where 9 is serviceable indoors but is washed out with a white light. The challenge is knowing Aimpoint did this to their newer models and then determining if one should go back for an RMA...

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    You know- I just picked up an H2 and noticed that I have to run it at 10 vs 9 like I used to with the H1/T1.

Interesting.

Feedback Score
    I have had a few posts about this too. I have a new one as of a week ago and it is so dim that 10 is what I use inside and if I go out side it must be at 12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I have had a few posts about this too. I have a new one as of a week ago and it is so dim that 10 is what I use inside and if I go out side it must be at 12.
    My newer versions, 12 is too bright in any environment. 11 outside, 10 indoors. I rarely go past 10, if ever, on older T2's.

Feedback Score
    I bought a T2 this year and the first thing I noticed was that it was one step lower in brightness compared to all of my T1s. I keep my T1s set to 9, which is bright enough to not get washed out when using a weapon light (the battery life lasts around 2.5 years on this setting). The T2 on the other hand needs to be set to 10 for the equivalent brightness (the battery life lasts only 10 months on this setting).

I contacted Aimpoint about this and they didn't acknowledge any change in the LED or circuitry. They attributed the lower brightness to "manufacturing variances" but I've read enough forum posts to know that this isn't the case. Because of the lower brightness (which results in reduced battery life), I put the T2 on my range rifle while my SHTF rifle still has a T1 on it. I'm going to avoid buying any more of Aimpoint's current red dots due to this. Hopefully when they release the T3, it will match the T1's performance.
    Last edited by teflondog; 10-05-20 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I bought a T2 this year and the first thing I noticed was that it was one step lower in brightness compared to all of my T1s. I keep my T1s set to 9, which is bright enough to not get washed out when using a weapon light (the battery life lasts around 2.5 years on this setting). The T2 on the other hand needs to be set to 10 for the equivalent brightness (the battery life lasts only 10 months on this setting).

I contacted Aimpoint about this and they didn't acknowledge any change in the LED or circuitry. They attributed the lower brightness to "manufacturing variances" but I've read enough forum posts to know that this isn't the case. Because of the lower brightness (which results in reduced battery life), I put the T2 on my range rifle while my SHTF rifle still has a T1 on it. I'm going to avoid buying any more of Aimpoint's current red dots due to this. Hopefully when they release the T3, it will match the T1's performance.
    I hear you. Thankfully I had four older version T2 with the older (and better) circuitry. I don’t understand why they would make this change as it is a design regression. If I go for another T2 it will be sub 41K S/N which will mean used. 2.5 years and 10 months is quite the difference for the same performance.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I just got my first Aimpoint micro (though I have used them before) and noticed immediately how dim it is. Below 9 is completely useless.
    This is disappointing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mine goes to 11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast