Thread: Good custom maps?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Good custom maps?

Looking to order some good quality maps of my area and places I may be in.
    Id really like something that would be somewhat weather resistant and rugged enough to fold up and keep in my pack.
    I have a Garmin 60csx with topo loaded, but want a hard copy backup.
    What do you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Check out MyTopo.com

They have many customizable options. You can choose the center of your map manually. You can choose different map types including topo, aerial/satellite, and hybrids. Map size and zoom level are also customizable.

They offer either a laminated rolled version or what you're looking for:

"Waterproof "Outdoor" Map MyTopo waterproof maps are printed with UV fade-resistant and waterproof inks on a special waterproof and tear-resistant paper. Waterproof maps are available rolled or folded for rugged outdoor use."

I don't own any of their maps, so I can't speak to their actual ruggedness.
    Last edited by Kadelic; 09-14-20 at 13:05. Reason: Removed "or you can input GPS coordinates"
    Honor Necessity

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Looking to order some good quality maps of my area and places I may be in.
    I’d really like something that would be somewhat weather resistant and rugged enough to fold up and keep in my pack.
    I have a Garmin 60csx with topo loaded, but want a hard copy backup.
    What do you guys recommend?
    Get a set of real estate maps, agents use for schools in the area. They come in a ring binder and you can take the ones you want and laminate them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another vote for MyTopo.com recommended by Kadelic. I've bought maps from them for years, both for work & personal use. You can customize the map area to suit your purpose. I frequently seem to be interested in areas right at the corner of 4 different USGS topo quads. MyTopo.com allows you to get a printed version where everything is on one map. In recent years they've had free laminating sales about once a year which really reduces cost. I haven't bought any of their waterproof maps yet (don't remember it as an option the last time I made a purchase).

I've also used the USGS site recommended by telecustom. You can download (for free) the various topo maps, satellite image maps, and hybrid topo/satellite image maps. Printed copies cost $ though. Another good thing about the USGS site is they usually have maps for the same area going back decades so you can see how and area has changed - say if you're interested in the history of a particular property/area.

With the plain paper copies from MyTopo.com & the USGS. But I've sprayed/brushed them with Thompson's water seal to make them weather resistant. Crude, but effective. It tends to make the coating crack at the folds after a while, but still useable in my experience.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Delorme atlas has topographical as well as road all in one. Have one in my get home bag when I was doing prisoner transport. Several times I was hours away from home. Has all kinds of stuff on the maps.