Thread: Good custom maps?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Good custom maps?

Looking to order some good quality maps of my area and places I may be in.
    I’d really like something that would be somewhat weather resistant and rugged enough to fold up and keep in my pack.
    I have a Garmin 60csx with topo loaded, but want a hard copy backup.
    What do you guys recommend?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Check out MyTopo.com

They have many customizable options. You can choose the center of your map manually. You can choose different map types including topo, aerial/satellite, and hybrids. Map size and zoom level are also customizable.

They offer either a laminated rolled version or what you're looking for:

"Waterproof "Outdoor" Map MyTopo waterproof maps are printed with UV fade-resistant and waterproof inks on a special waterproof and tear-resistant paper. Waterproof maps are available rolled or folded for rugged outdoor use."

I don't own any of their maps, so I can't speak to their actual ruggedness.
    Last edited by Kadelic; 09-14-20 at 13:05. Reason: Removed "or you can input GPS coordinates"
    Honor Necessity

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Looking to order some good quality maps of my area and places I may be in.
    I’d really like something that would be somewhat weather resistant and rugged enough to fold up and keep in my pack.
    I have a Garmin 60csx with topo loaded, but want a hard copy backup.
    What do you guys recommend?
    Get a set of real estate maps, agents use for schools in the area. They come in a ring binder and you can take the ones you want and laminate them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another vote for MyTopo.com recommended by Kadelic. I've bought maps from them for years, both for work & personal use. You can customize the map area to suit your purpose. I frequently seem to be interested in areas right at the corner of 4 different USGS topo quads. MyTopo.com allows you to get a printed version where everything is on one map. In recent years they've had free laminating sales about once a year which really reduces cost. I haven't bought any of their waterproof maps yet (don't remember it as an option the last time I made a purchase).

I've also used the USGS site recommended by telecustom. You can download (for free) the various topo maps, satellite image maps, and hybrid topo/satellite image maps. Printed copies cost $ though. Another good thing about the USGS site is they usually have maps for the same area going back decades so you can see how and area has changed - say if you're interested in the history of a particular property/area.

With the plain paper copies from MyTopo.com & the USGS. But I've sprayed/brushed them with Thompson's water seal to make them weather resistant. Crude, but effective. It tends to make the coating crack at the folds after a while, but still useable in my experience.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Delorme atlas has topographical as well as road all in one. Have one in my get home bag when I was doing prisoner transport. Several times I was hours away from home. Has all kinds of stuff on the maps.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just an FYI follow up for MyTopo.com custom maps. Got an email from them that they're running free laminating this month for sizes up to 36"x48". I'm going to get another couple of large maps for areas we frequent. The free laminating essentially is a half off sale. The laminated 36"x48" topo maps are $30 plus shipping (a single 36"x48"laminated map has been about $10 for me in the past).

From their email:

"FREE LAMINATION IN NOVEMBER
    Laminate any topographic, aerial, satellite or hybrid map today through the rest of November for FREE. Just select "Laminated" on Step 3 and pay the same price as we offer for waterproof paper finish today through November 30th."

I've purchased laminated maps from the in the past - they look good and have held up well. Nice for wall display (without weight of glass), or for dry erase markers.