Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 36 yard RDS zero ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I agree 100%, but its not just proficiency, physical limitations do come into play. My eyesight is suffering with age and shooting groups at 100 or 200 meters is much more difficult than 50 with an RDS or irons. I can put shots on target, but shooting groups/zeroing is a different ball game.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Yes, I agree - and neglected to include that specifically. I have one foot in that boat as well.
    Same. Even with glasses. I can hit center mass I just can't do groups. A member here took a picture of my 25yrd prone 5 shot group. If he sees this he's more than welcome to post it!

Kinda looked like this

. . .
    . X .
    . . .

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    My zero is a 50 yard zero but thought this was an interesting video & why the author likes a 36 yard zero.

https://youtu.be/jttB1kUXfJE
    Travis Haley has a video on the 36 yd zero as well. In bootcamp we zero’d irons at 36 yds as well.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I don’t know anything about AK rifles, however, all my optics get a 100 yard zero. I confirm hold overs/unders, make slight tweaks and I’m good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    My friend just did me a solid and installed my RDS on my AK74. He said it was the flattest trajectory from 0-300 yards.

Anyone else this use this RDS zero.

PB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some past threads by SME's here on how to zero:

The reference thread (Molon):
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-Trajectories

The 100-yard zero (Failure2stop):
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...100-Meter-Zero

Vickers approach (100 preferred, 50 when necessary):
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-25-Sept-2011

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm a simpleton and zero all centerfire rifles at 100 yards. RDS, scope, etc. Only reason I'd do different is if a BDC system called for a different zero (I don't currently own any). 9MM ARs / CZ Scorpion get a 50 yard zero. I am in an environment where getting shots much further than 200-300 yards on a regular basis is difficult but if I lived out west, I would consider a different zero.

And with that, I pretty much stop thinking about other options, having exhausted the arguments for / against.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    If you are running irons on an M16A2/A4 then you would be solid with a 36yd zero, because you can adjust for elevation at 100, 200, 300, etc. For anything else, a 50/200 or 100 is optimal.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    If you are running irons on an M16A2/A4 then you would be solid with a 36yd zero, because you can adjust for elevation at 100, 200, 300, etc. For anything else, a 50/200 or 100 is optimal.
    Iron sights + my less than perfect middle age eyes makes the 36m/paces/yard zero work for me. Someday I'll get out a tape measure and get a precise distance but for now my own paces seem to work. I readjusted at 100 since I seemed to be hitting rather high and then switched to 300 getting hits on a smaller than chest size steel. I feel like if I can see it out to 300m then I can hit it.

Feedback Score
    I have recently moved to a 36 yd zero on my ar. I have an 11.5 inch and with hand loaded 77 gr Noslers, i am at zero at 36 and around 125. I love how that out to about 175 its only ever .8 inches either side of poa. I think at 250 its maybe 5 inches low. With a red dotted sbr i dont see shooting much past that at any point. I think with zero you really need to find what works with the bullet weight you using.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I have recently moved to a 36 yd zero on my ar. I have an 11.5 inch and with hand loaded 77 gr Noslers, i am at zero at 36 and around 125. I love how that out to about 175 its only ever .8 inches either side of poa. I think at 250 its maybe 5 inches low. With a red dotted sbr i dont see shooting much past that at any point. I think with zero you really need to find what works with the bullet weight you using.
    After running it through two classes, i hate the 36 yard and will be going back to the 100. I dont like how you have to adjust your holdover up or down depending on the various distances and i liked how the 100 is only hold overs. I think any zero is fine as long as you know where the bullet goes at different distances. For me i want simplicity and 36 isnt it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hopefully it's just me but Molons thread seems to have lost all of the images and graphs. That was such a great reference...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast