Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bundeswehr picks AR as new service rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Only early 694x uppers (those with patent pending markings) lacked the steel cam pin support. All later model 694x have it, DI and piston.
    Do you know the dates for the uppers? I have a really good friend who has one, bought in 2011-2012 time frame, I've shot his quite a bit, and I really don't remember seeing this.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I still wish I’d gotten a 6944 Upper when I had the chance.

It was literally a Colt LMT.
    How close was it to the LMT system? I remember the BCG looked vastly different.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    How close was it to the LMT system? I remember the BCG looked vastly different.
    Karl Lewis literally had a hand in it and Colt had to pay LMT for every one sold.

I’m not speaking to the piston but the DI version

Feedback Score
    Karl Lewis literally had a hand in it and Colt had to pay LMT for every one sold.

I’m not speaking to the piston but the DI version
    I never got to mess around with the 6940. Did it have the same barrel attachment system as the LMT?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never got to mess around with the 6940. Did it have the same barrel attachment system as the LMT?
    No. The barrels aren’t swappable like that. It was the monolithic rail design.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The 6940 uses a barrel nut with threads on the outside and engagement "teeth" on the front edge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Do you know the dates for the uppers? I have a really good friend who has one, bought in 2011-2012 time frame, I've shot his quite a bit, and I really don't remember seeing this.
    I do not. It was only the very early 694x that lacked the steel insert.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What I meant by my comment was various barrel length availability as well as the availability of chrome lining. I know the laws in both countries make it hard, hence why I think it would be nice to see them manufactured in GA. Maybe I have a misunderstanding of MR223 vs MR556. I will read up on them.

I get frustrated at comments like this. The MR 556 is literally an M27 with no full auto and the modified semi auto upper.

Brownells sold a 416 kit that was/is grossly overpriced just for the ability to use F/A parts and a lighter barrel.

I would like the updated MR556A5 with a more normal barrel but what you take a hit on in weight, you get back in accuracy. I’d also like the normal takedown pins.

I have a 556 and it is my MacBook Pro AR. Expensive, proprietary, but it just works and you get rewarded with a really really nice stock trigger and nigh SPR accuracy. It is a little chonky though and it does have more recoil (not much but noticeable).

My Colts are bae but the HK just shoots. I’d love the current, military 14.5 barrel but the 16” MR is fine too. A little lighter would go soooo far.
    I get tempted to chop but nah
    That said it’s my /comfy/ rifle. I’m not raiding Saigon with it. I’m going out and popping IPSC, Boar, Karens with it.

People forget that HK is gridlocked with a lot of laws. On both shores.

I don’t know what people want out of HK but they are never happy.

To those of you selling Kidneys for 433s; Y’all gonna be some sad, sad bears 15 minutes after shooting it.

“Um WTF this is like a SCAR. It just says HK on it”

I have enough G36 experience to tell you that in a perfect world it is a $600 gun at best. And they will even tell you that the XM8 is a G36 with a Starship Troopers DLC Skin.

You would literally be better off with an Airsoft version to shoot Pepsi cans with and could still retain your dignity.

JM2C
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    What I meant by my comment was various barrel length availability as well as the availability of chrome lining. I know the laws in both countries make it hard, hence why I think it would be nice to see them manufactured in GA. Maybe I have a misunderstanding of MR223 vs MR556. I will read up on them.
    To me, the Chrome Lining is a moot point. My only complaint is the barrels weight. Like..

I won’t say it’s a “must have” rifle, but I like mine. The first thing to do is get a new rail. And they are pricey but don’t pay more than $3200. I also think the piston is a non-issue for me.

I feel the MacBook analogy is apt. You’re paying a lot but you’re getting a gun that just works. The accuracy is really good. You would likely spend nigh $700 for a barrel that nice. Likewise the trigger is almost as good as a Geissele. So that would easily be $300+ right there. Mine came with a hard case and Troy sights so there goes $600 easily. (It’s a nice case and flyable). The rest is HK tax. But once the dust settles, it’s not that overpriced. Govt sales of 416s are also pre-tty spendy.

I mean, for my own use, I doubt I need a short piston and if I did, I’d go LMT(I don’t). But for a really nice AR with Kraut space barrels; you can’t go wrong. The gun is more “assembled” in America than actually made here. Most of the gun is German material shipped over. Just enough to keep the ATF import peoples fat asses sat down somewhere.

It’s literally the same gun on same tooling.

I like the MacBook analogy because it’s how I treat it. My Colt is my Linux Thinkpad running Arch Linux with anime girls wallpaper and cyberpunk gui.

I put a lot into it, but only what I wanted and if you know, you know. My HK is my “I just wanna relax and not think” rifle with stuff that just works. Coastal Seabreeze wallpapers, MacOS.

I’m a weird and sad little man, but you knew that already. But I like my HK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Colt released the 6940 in 2009 and the 6940P in early 2012. Colt's 2012 catalog has a picture of a 6940 without the insert next to a 6940P with the insert. I purchased a Colt 6944 (6940 with 14.5" barrel) in November of 2012. It does not have the insert. I've seen pictures of another 6940 that was manufactured in 2012 and it does have the insert.

Granted that's only a few data points, but it looks like the insert was added to the DI 6940 upper receivers at some point in 2012.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast