Thread: New to me AR manufacturers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New to me AR manufacturers

I admit that I live under a rock when it comes to keeping up with AR manufacturers.

Today one of the guys in the building where I rent my office brought in his recently purchased DD MK18 and everyone gathered around to ooogle. The conversation came up about keeping an AR/AK pistol in the car just in case in this current climate. Something more potent than 9/40/45/38spl. A couple names poped up I've never heard of as far as manufacturing rifles.

-Troy Industries M4A4
    -Battle Arms Development Workhorse Defense
    -Head Down Cornerstone

Never heard of Head Down but the other two I know to only make parts. Couldn't find any worthwhile reviews online and in the current climate price doesn't say much. Are these worth while or just rebranded garbage?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I admit that I live under a rock when it comes to keeping up with AR manufacturers.

Today one of the guys in the building where I rent my office brought in his recently purchased DD MK18 and everyone gathered around to ooogle. The conversation came up about keeping an AR/AK pistol in the car just in case in this current climate. Something more potent than 9/40/45/38spl. A couple names poped up I've never heard of as far as manufacturing rifles.

-Troy Industries M4A4
    -Battle Arms Development Workhorse Defense
    -Head Down Cornerstone

Never heard of Head Down but the other two I know to only make parts. Couldn't find any worthwhile reviews online and in the current climate price doesn't say much. Are these worth while or just rebranded garbage?

It is not difficult to build a quality AR if every part is manufactured to spec and at least batch inspected. BCM is the perfect example.. They have a go/no go gauge or fixture for all most very part that goes into a build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    It is not difficult to build a quality AR if every part is manufactured to spec and at least batch inspected. BCM is the perfect example.. They have a go/no go gauge or fixture for all most very part that goes into a build.
    I'm sure it's not but having never heard of them to me and not being able to find any real reviews the name alone means nothing

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    "Troy" is hardly an "unknown."
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    "Troy" is hardly an "unknown."
    I'm talking about making rifles, not parts and accessories. I was only able to find two references to it here

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Never heard they built rifles but if I had to, Battle Arms would be my best option. They make good tuff, so I only think their guns would be decent. Troy maybe and the last, dont think so much

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Troy made some rifles a few years ago. Thier early kits had some good components, later meh. Battle Arms to me is a boutique brand but I use many of thier parts. The other, never heard of.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score

New to me AR manufacturers

I bought a few Troy fully assembled uppers and I built my own lower receivers at one time and shoot quite well for what they cost at the time. I build my own rifles now. I do favor BCM LPK and always use BCM BCG in most of my builds but I bought a few Spikes Tactical BCG as well since they were on sale.

For my spare BCGs I have a few Toolcraft ones. I tried one in my one my uppers and it works fine. I did buy some Troy M-LOK rails at one time as well when they were on sale and I like the Troy flip up battle sights. Expensive when not on sale but they were on sale on Black Friday a few years ago so I bought a few sets.
    Last edited by Tony617; 09-16-20 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    Little known manufacturers? Caracal might qualify.