Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock instructor Gen 4 to Gen 5 accuracy improvements

Feedback Score

Glock instructor Gen 4 to Gen 5 accuracy improvements

A Marine buddy of mine is a long time Glock employee and trainer. I was asking him about the Gen 5 improvements over Gen 4. He said the Gen 5 has a marksman barrel and the FBI was getting 2 inch groups at 25 yards with the Gen 5. He invited me down to Smyrna to shoot the gen 5 and test them which I am going to take him up on. I currently have 4 Gen 4's (G17, G26, G34 and G22).. I love my Glocks and it's basically the only pistol I use, carry and shoot. For the those who have switched from Gen 4 to Gen 5 have you seen big improvements? Not excited about the cost of trading in and upgrading but if the improvements are great I will probably upgrade.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why not just upgrade the barrel?
    "Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    Is there no other improvement from Gen 4 to Gen 5? How much better is accuracy? I'd be concerned about reliability if modifying to a match barrel honestly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceWindu View Post
    Because that only works for 19 size barrels and frames. The locking blocks on the 17 are different between generations. Gen 1-4 have different locking lugs and blocks between frame sizes. Gen 5 has all the same lug and block.

Yes. There is a improvement in accuracy. The rifling change and barrel crown are one part. The other part is the chamber is cut tighter which lends itself to more accuracy as well. The difference is noticeable enough. 2-3” in groups can now get into the 1.5-2”ish ranges.
    Last edited by ggammell; 09-15-20 at 14:03.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Because that only works for 19 size barrels and frames. The locking blocks on the 17 are different between generations. Gen 1-4 have different locking lugs and blocks between frame sizes. Gen 5 has all the same lug and block.

Yes. There is a improvement in accuracy. The rifling change and barrel crown are one part. The other part is the chamber is cut tighter which lends itself to more accuracy as well. The difference is noticeable enough. 2-3” in groups can now get into the 1.5-2”ish ranges.
    I guess it boils down to a couple things. Are you a Bullseye Shooter,a Grand Master USPSA/IDPA shooter where every MOA difference counts ! If the guns are used for SD 99% of the time is the $$$ being spent for the upgrade worth it ? Most encounters are up close and personal so 1MOA makes no difference over 3MOA. But if ya want a new gun then go for it,,,,everyone likes new guns,LOL !!! I will add that my 19X is the most accurate Glock I have ever owned,,almost as accurate as my CZs,,

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I own a few gen 4 glocks. I picked up a gen 5 about 6 months ago. I prefer the Gen 5. I've never met anyone that can out shoot a Gen 4 with a standard barrel. I think the accuracy advantage is more theoretical than practical. I much prefer the Gen 5 frame without the finger grooves. I also like the fact that the triggers are not serrated and the trigger pull is a bit cleaner. The finish on the barrel and slide is a bit nicer. Just an aesthetic thing but still noticeable.

There's no big changes with the Gen 5. Just a series of little tweaks that make a good gun better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just as we were about to have a good, useful thread.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Gen 5 has a number of changes besides the marksman barrel, trigger and deletion of finger grooves, such as the magwell and breech face cut that throws the brass out there!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    A Marine buddy of mine is a long time Glock employee and trainer. I was asking him about the Gen 5 improvements over Gen 4. He said the Gen 5 has a marksman barrel and the FBI was getting 2 inch groups at 25 yards with the Gen 5. He invited me down to Smyrna to shoot the gen 5 and test them which I am going to take him up on. I currently have 4 Gen 4's (G17, G26, G34 and G22).. I love my Glocks and it's basically the only pistol I use, carry and shoot. For the those who have switched from Gen 4 to Gen 5 have you seen big improvements? Not excited about the cost of trading in and upgrading but if the improvements are great I will probably upgrade.

Thanks!
    I have not seen that much of an accuracy improvement shooting ball ammo (124 gr NATO). The trigger pull is better but wears out after 2000 rounds and becomes “gritty” even after a good cleaning. I realize they upgraded and coated the trigger bar and spring assembly but the smoothness has not lasted on my Gen5 G19. I already installed an Apex trigger.

Regardless, if you had to buy new, Gen 5’s are nice due to the ambi mag release and two pin set up. If you want more accuracy out of a Gen 4, upgrade the barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post

Thanks!
    I get 2 inch groups @25 with my Gen3 stock BBL.

I have seen <1 inch groups with a BARSTO on Gen3.

Both from a rest of course.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast