Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock instructor Gen 4 to Gen 5 accuracy improvements

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    gen5 includes several tweaks that make it the most advanced Glock yet. If you're buying new, get a 5. If you have older versions that are meeting your needs you may or may not benefit from upgrading depending on your needs and what you're capable of. For example, if you can't hit a standard sheet of paper at 25yds the GMB isn't going to do anything for you yet.

The GMB and trigger attributes are commonly mentioned as reasons to upgrade to a 5. Others may suggest just upgrading older models with a new barrel or trigger kit. That is indeed an option, but those modifications can compromise reliability and quality options approach or exceed the costs to upgrade. Along with time/ammo to vet the gun.
    Some great feedback overall. Very helpful. Thanks ST and everyone

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I shoot gen 4 G19s almost exclusively. Stock triggers. A few months ago, I rented a gen 5 to see if the hype was real. Much to my surprise, I acheived better precision than my gen4 gun. I did not measure, or attempt to do an objective comparison, which is something I’d like to do sometime.

Yesterday after reading this thread, I decided to put my KKM barrel in my beater. Since everyone is discussing group sizes. Rezeroing my giant dot dual illuminated RMR, I shot 4” (measured roughly by my hand width, and a known 3” dot target) groups off the bench. I was using literal garbage ammo, cast wheel weights powdercoated, sized a little too small, with magnum primers and unsorted well used and abused range pickup brass.

I drew 3 conclusions from my groups in comparison to the ones posted here:
    1) try better ammo before you buy a new gun
    2) I suck, need glasses, need more practice. A lot more practice. A lot more dry fire. A lot more B8. A lot more Dot Torture. I can’t come even remotely close to this unsupported, which is how pistols get used.
    3) I am more than happy with the performance of that weapon. There were no stoppages, and paper got punched.

I’ll prolly run my gen 4s for another year or so.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    2) I suck, need glasses, need more practice. A lot more practice. A lot more dry fire. A lot more B8. A lot more Dot Torture. I can’t come even remotely close to this unsupported, which is how pistols get used.
    3) I am more than happy with the performance of that weapon. There were no stoppages, and paper got punched.
    Great example, thanks for sharing.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I shoot gen 4 G19s almost exclusively. Stock triggers. A few months ago, I rented a gen 5 to see if the hype was real. Much to my surprise, I acheived better precision than my gen4 gun. I did not measure, or attempt to do an objective comparison, which is something I’d like to do sometime.

Yesterday after reading this thread, I decided to put my KKM barrel in my beater. Since everyone is discussing group sizes. Rezeroing my giant dot dual illuminated RMR, I shot 4” (measured roughly by my hand width, and a known 3” dot target) groups off the bench. I was using literal garbage ammo, cast wheel weights powdercoated, sized a little too small, with magnum primers and unsorted well used and abused range pickup brass.

I’ll prolly run my gen 4s for another year or so.
    I like this.

I’m not getting rid of my Gen 3 or Gen 4 but Gen 5 has it going on. I have a work Gen 5 and will buy my own. But if anything I will just rebarrel my prior Gens when time comes.

I want, SO bad, a non MOS G34. Not everything needs a red dot. Plus my guiltiest pleasure is my Gen 2 17L. No mods. Factory. Yowza.

Honestly that’s all I do. On a personal gat, I just put in a minus connector, the extended slide stop lever, and maybe Dawsons.

Totally agree on B8 and good ammo. I am snobby and won’t put Carcinogenic Soviet made Wolf in my Glock. I used to would put it in my Kimber on dares and it worked but....yuck.

But that is another story

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMO the first best thing about the Gen5 IMO is the grip not having finger grooves. The second best thing is the trigger. Accuracy wise, I noticed no improvement over Gen2, 3, or 4. (I have a 19.5, 19X and G45.)
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    So I would like to revisit this 3 year old thread, for a report on how everyone's Gen 5 is holding up?

How is it when it is in the field in the sand and mud?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    About 5-6 k through mine. No issues. The short barrel throat is annoying for handloaders. I often use my gen 4 barrel in my gen 5 19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    So I would like to revisit this 3 year old thread, for a report on how everyone's Gen 5 is holding up?

How is it when it is in the field in the sand and mud?
    No issues here. I use mine for uspsa, have over 10k through it.

Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    About 5-6 k through mine. No issues. The short barrel throat is annoying for handloaders. I often use my gen 4 barrel in my gen 5 19
    Hmm, i never had an issue with handloads.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-04-23 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have about 2k rounds through my G19.5 MOS.
    It had some hiccups for the first 1k or so. On the last round it would stove pipe. It was not ammo or magazine related. Clean and lubed. Slow or rapid fire.
    Issue has since subsided and gun runs smooth.

My G19.3 had a horrible ejection pattern when I first bought it and didn’t correct itself. A White Sound Defense extractor spring assembly and gen4 ejector remedied the issue.

Accuracy wise, I still shoot my iron sighted G19.3 better, both guns have factory barrels. Trigger wise, my particular gen5 shows no improvement over my gen3 for whatever reason. Gen3 has a more defined wall and a more crisp break imo.

Gen5 ergonomics are better with no finger groves and grip texture is better than previous gens. If you are into modification of your firearm the finger grooves and/or texture is not a concern.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    No issues here. I use mine for uspsa, have over 10k through it.

Hmm, i never had an issue with handloads.
    Depends on bullet profile and OAL. I used to load 124 truncated cone bullets at 1.13 inches in my gen 4 Glocks. I have had to go to about 1.06 to get the same bullet to chamber in the Gen 5.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast