Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Grip Screw Difficult to Screw Back In

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, I gave it another try last night. I'm working with an LMT lower receiver (pricey!), and there is no opening/but out from inside the receiver, near the trigger, etc.

I cleaned the threads inside the threaded hole and the screw itself.

I lubricated the screw hole and the screw and tried to get it to go in, but I hit a hard wall and I'm not trying to force it at that point.

Further, I'm using a screw that is for a flat head screw driver, and I've purchased a grip screw that is a hex head for better purchase with my torque driver.

Would you guys suggest once I get the new screw I just muscle it past the "block" or stopping point and take it from there?

As for the Helicoil/TimeSert I do have a vise (not a drill press).

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I gave it another try last night. I'm working with an LMT lower receiver (pricey!), and there is no opening/but out from inside the receiver, near the trigger, etc.

I cleaned the threads inside the threaded hole and the screw itself.

I lubricated the screw hole and the screw and tried to get it to go in, but I hit a hard wall and I'm not trying to force it at that point.

Further, I'm using a screw that is for a flat head screw driver, and I've purchased a grip screw that is a hex head for better purchase with my torque driver.

Would you guys suggest once I get the new screw I just muscle it past the "block" or stopping point and take it from there?

As for the Helicoil/TimeSert I do have a vise (not a drill press).
    Never attempt to muscle it. That always ends in disaster for me.

You can get a tap and clean up the threads, that is probably the best option at this point.

Andy

Feedback Score
    In the cold light of day here and fortified by strong coffee I have decided to take it in to my gunsmith and let him fix it rather than risk absolutely destroying the LMT MARS-H lower I 'm dealing with.

If it was a cheap Anderson lower...sure, I'd be up for it, but ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Never attempt to muscle it. That always ends in disaster for me.
    Yup, and that is what I did. I tried to muscle it down once it first stopped moving. And...there you go.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is there a pre applied thread locker on the screw? If, take a wire brush to it as they are usually generous with that crap. I would get the tap as mentioned. 1/4x28
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In the cold light of day here and fortified by strong coffee I have decided to take it in to my gunsmith and let him fix it rather than risk absolutely destroying the LMT MARS-H lower I 'm dealing with.

Before smiff I’d chase threads with tap like Andy noted.

Before that I’d do what Mark said, but threads in lower too as they make be “gummed” with locker.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Oof, I wouldn’t want to mess up a MARS-H.

Side note, where’d you get it? I’m looking for one.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I received a Colt Complete lower the pistol grip was loose when I picked it up.

Took it home and it was cross threaded or threads buggered. Contacted Brownells return slip,

ordered another one and it arrived JUST FINE.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If it was a cheap Anderson lower, you would find they only tap part of the pistol grip screw hole and you would be mildly bitter about it. Easy to cut threads in the rest of the hole though.

Andy

Feedback Score
    OK, I wanted to circle back around again here and let you know how things turned out. I actually had an appointment scheduled at my gunsmith today.

I thought, "OK, settle down, give it a good think and try it one more more time.

Here's what I did.

I used a hex screw that I had in my parts bin, and did the following.

1) I first put it all the way into the receiver hole for the pistol grip. It went all the way in. I could feel it moving pasted the small area I had stripped, but then...it had a solid purchase.

2) I got a long hex wrench with a torque handle.

3) I greased up the screw and the hole, and then I inserted the screw into the pistol grip with the long hex wrench big I have in a DREMEL kit.

4) I carefully inserted the safety detent and the take down detent pin and springs on my LMT.

5) I carefully got everything in place and slowly started screwing it down and .... voila....it all worked.

My theory here it the following:

1) I simply was trying to rush it and I over-angled it when I first attempted it and stripped out some threading.

Thanks for the great advice.

Live and learn.
    Last edited by JWill1776; 09-19-20 at 17:56.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12