Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa, OK, slain officer Bodycam. *NSFW* hard to watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    The only thing that has gone right about 2020 is FF returning to this forum.
    That's for sure. Always an interesting and thought provoking perspective....with a dose of caustic humor.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    I counted 5 times that the officers went hands-on with the perp to physically remove him from the vehicle but then disengaged. What's up with all the time outs?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Tulsa, OK, slain officer Bodycam. *NSFW* hard to watch.

Russian neck cranks are a thing and are absolutely miserable if you’re on the receiving end.

Also sidebar; but a lot of agencies put greater emphasis on training control and officer defensive tactics than actual fighting skills and techniques. Which is lame imo. Competent officers need to be able to do both. In practical application they are distinct skill sets.

Not every suspect resisting detainment or arrest warrants strikes to the face with bare fists or the application of impact weapons, it depends on the circumstances of course. That being said a person unwilling to vacate a vehicle is doing so for a reason and articulating why you punched them in the face repeatedly like Donkey Kong is not unreasonable.

Violence is just that, violent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-18-20 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    The only thing that has gone right about 2020 is FF returning to this forum.
    Absolutely.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    i tried pulling a drunk from a car once and it is not easy. Too many things they can rap themselves up in. It wasn't until the second officer showed up that we got him out and then we were in the driving lane running the risk of getting hit by a damn car. Same type of thing. Guy just didn't want to comply. Needless to say we were not grabbing him by the hands to come out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Russian neck cranks are a thing and are absolutely miserable if you’re on the receiving end.

Also sidebar; but a lot of agencies put greater emphasis on training control and officer defensive tactics than actual fighting skills and techniques. Which is lame imo. Competent officers need to be able to do both. In practical application they are distinct skill sets.

Not every suspect resisting detainment or arrest warrants strikes to the face with bare fists or the application of impact weapons, it depends on the circumstances of course. That being said a person unwilling to vacate a vehicle is doing so for a reason and articulating why you punched them in the face repeatedly like Donkey Kong is not unreasonable.

Violence is just that, violent.

I assume due to lawyers convincing someone that opens the PD to liability?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Doesn't look good on video punching to the face and throat. We had more on pain compliance and control of the hands in the academy. We had alot of ground fighting and boxing which was fun. Still retained most of it and has come in handy a few times. The boxing was so we could have a couple 3 one minute round fights with the other cadets. Told us to go 50-80%. When you got clocked, that percent range went out the door. Was pretty funny to watch.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Doesn't look good on video punching to the face and throat. More on pain compliance and control of the hands in the academy. We had alot of ground fighting and boxing which was fun. Still retained most of it and has come in handy a few times. The boxing was so we could have a couple 3 one minute round fights with the other cadets. Told us to go 50-80%. When you got clocked, that percent range went out the door. Was pretty funny to watch.
    Do they still teach the brachial stun? Hit them hard with either the heal of the hand or forearm and it will definitely put them out of it for a few seconds- enough time to get them under control. They used to teach this at the academy (albeit almost 30 years ago) and we used to hit each other at about half speed and it would still ring my bell. The few times I used it on the street it worked like a charm.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I assume due to lawyers convincing someone that opens the PD to liability?
    In part probably yes, but the case law governing use of force is pretty cut and dry about totality of circumstances, reasonableness, etc etc.

Part of it imo is also because a lot of defensive tactics, Officer response training, etc type instructors are wannabe BJJ or some other martial artist pro and treat it as an extension their craft. Obviously some guys are truly legit with respect to their skill set and having that competency available to you is absolutely a multiplier when brought to bare. Others I think tend to smudge the line between gaming and what actually goes down in a street fight.

It’s also because it’s generally simpler to teach folks to make distance and go to a tool but Sometimes it really is just easier to punch people in the face in order to end an altercation when the circumstances warrant it.

Not many people, LEOs included, are comfortable taking a fight to the ground be it due to training or what have you but imo most fights end up there so it’s where competency needs to be at its highest and officers need to comfortable in doing so.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Doesn't look good on video punching to the face and throat. We had more on pain compliance and control of the hands in the academy. We had alot of ground fighting and boxing which was fun. Still retained most of it and has come in handy a few times. The boxing was so we could have a couple 3 one minute round fights with the other cadets. Told us to go 50-80%. When you got clocked, that percent range went out the door. Was pretty funny to watch.
    Who gives a sh*t. The application of violence isn’t pretty even if applied in semi-professional context.

Boxing is fine in a training context to get trainees comfortable throwing punches and getting hit (endurance training as well) but I hope that framework wasn’t being carried over to actual interactions in the street because squaring up and exchanging punches with a perp is asinine.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast