Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV shopping - Nissan or Toyota

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Why would sonar parking sensors on 4Runners be only available with the Limited? You can get the collision, radar cruise control, lane departure and remote start on pretty much every model- but parking sensors only in the Limited? This will be driven a lot by my kids, and I'm not going to put them in a car with out the parking sensors.
    They have a list of widgets and doodads that they can install. They have 3-5 trim levels. They have to save some widgets for the top trim level, otherwise why buy it?

Is this system stupid? 100%. I really think Ford is on to something with the Bronco. You can add the Sasquatch package to ANY trim level. Game changing. Also, in my opinion, the “Limited” top trim level should be a “comfort and luxury” package but safety equipment should be standard on all trims.

I think car companies should have one trim, that you add packages to. Any package you want, and you can have multiple.

Vehicle + nothing (base model)
    Vehicle + Appearance Pkg (sunroof and different wheels of your choice)
    Vehicle + Cold Weather pkg (Heated stuff)
    Vehicle + Off-road OR Sport Pkg (suspension, programming, drivetrain changes)
    Vehicle + Comfort and Luxury pkg (leather, different stereo, power trunk, whatever else)

Feedback Score
    I agree. Something like parking sensors seem like something that should be across the board. It would be almost criminal to put new drivers in an SUV with out them. At least it has cameras.

I'd get a TRD PRO, or more likely one of their intermediate TRDish models if they had sonar. Just getting the Limited with the parking sonar brings more cost, but it also brings more complexity. I hate moving running boards. The ones on my Escalade are flaky and would never show the problem at the dealer. I really don't like anything with a motor. Auto seats, ugh. Just make a good seat that doesn't need 10 adjustments. Electronic locks are OK, but if you have a good wife/GF they aren't that important. I do like sunroofs. Lots of great weather here in CO, though I have wear a hat now or burn my scalp...

The older I get, the more I want simple vehicles that will last 10 years. My 2015 has 32k miles on it. I don't drive a lot. Right now we'll get a 4Runner because we need a car in the next 6 months. For my 2015, I'll look at the new 4Runners or LC300 (if they come), If they haven't totally screwed them up. Or I might by a 2 year old used last year version of the last generation.

I was looking at the new 'Tahoe' models and to get the 6.2L engine with any kind of basic stuff, I come out at $73-76k. Ouch.

What I don't like on the 15 Escalade with the 3rd row seats is that the cargo area is pitched to the rear. Open the hatch and everything not tied down wants to pour out...
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 09-20-20 at 11:53.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    So been playing with the Toyota Config.

The TRD OFF ROAD PREMIUM + sun roof, KDSS, rails and probably black rims.
    PREMIUM, pretty much as is
    TRD-PRO, pretty much as is

The question I have is the TRD OFF ROAD with the KDSS versus the other two (really the TRD-PRO) in terms of on road and off road handlng.

Damn, they get expensive. TRD-PRO for $51k, the TRD off road premium with black rims is over $47. Premiums are just under the TRD-PROs

That Off Road is a pretty good deal, till you start to screw with it. I've heard that the TRD-PROs are hard to find, and may carry a premium !? We have a few months till we really need it.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 11-26-20 at 02:32.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Have a 2020 TRD PRO. Many of the upsell features are unique to pro but can be added to any taco. The headlights in the 2020+ are huge improvement, almost negates need for aftermarket light bars. 2020+ power driver seat also huge improvement. Fox shocks, lighter rims, TRD exhaust from the factory, 1” higher lift, front camera/off road surround camera, and rear locker were the main trim differences—some of which are also on the off-road. I also like the black out treatment and the hood with the black anti reflective vinyl. The Pro gives you a vehicle you don’t really need to mod, checks most boxes. I wish the camera resolution was better, JBL sound system is meh, gas mileage isn’t amazing. If you do go Tacoma, pay the $100 for transmission TSB update. Truck drives night and day better after the update. Before it felt like torque converter was taking seconds to lock or unlock during shifts which sucked power. The throttle remap was also improvement. Much more responsive all around. If you use CRAWL, the ratcheting can get annoying but it really works! Also if you intend to overland, taco beds are polymer. You’ll need significant reinforcements for the added weight and probably stronger rear springs or front end will aim to the sky.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Nah, the 3.5L 2GR-FKS V6 made its debut in 2015 in a Lexus before they started rolling it out into everything, Highlander, Sienna, Tacoma, etc. It has Toyota’s D4S Direct injection self cleaning system, it’s pretty modern engine tech. But yes, I will agree that the 5.7L V8 in the Tundra, Sequoia and Landcruiser is stupid old at this point.
    I need to find the in depth PDF from Toyota on the 3.5 and post, interesting reading on how Atkinson cycle works.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post

I still would never buy a Tahoe/Suburban with the 5.3L though, because they’re gutless in a vehicle that heavy. I had the displeasure of driving one for a week as a rental recently. Yuck. Gutless. Anyone buying a GM 1/2 ton pickup or large SUV who doesn’t opt for the 6.2L is out of their damn minds in my opinion.
    When I bought my 2018 1500 Silverado, it was a previous year model with a 5.3 and a 6.2 would have been a 2019 and a significant price bump. 355 hp isn't really gutless in my mind, but no doubt the 6.2s are beasts.

My 5.3 has never felt underpowered, although the only reasonably challenging thing I have done with it is drag a small car on a u-haul trailer (maybe 5000 lbs combined) from Alabama to South Dakota.

In my mind, if you want a truck to pull/carry more than a 5.3 will allow, you really need to step up to a 2500.

That being said, I would have snapped up a 6.2 in a heartbeat if the price difference wasn't significant.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-26-20 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Have a 2020 TRD PRO. Many of the upsell features are unique to pro but can be added to any taco. The headlights in the 2020+ are huge improvement, almost negates need for aftermarket light bars. 2020+ power driver seat also huge improvement. Fox shocks, lighter rims, TRD exhaust from the factory, 1” higher lift, front camera/off road surround camera, and rear locker were the main trim differences—some of which are also on the off-road. I also like the black out treatment and the hood with the black anti reflective vinyl. The Pro gives you a vehicle you don’t really need to mod, checks most boxes. I wish the camera resolution was better, JBL sound system is meh, gas mileage isn’t amazing. If you do go Tacoma, pay the $100 for transmission TSB update. Truck drives night and day better after the update. Before it felt like torque converter was taking seconds to lock or unlock during shifts which sucked power. The throttle remap was also improvement. Much more responsive all around. If you use CRAWL, the ratcheting can get annoying but it really works! Also if you intend to overland, taco beds are polymer. You’ll need significant reinforcements for the added weight and probably stronger rear springs or front end will aim to the sky.
    Thanks, I was thinking of the 4Runner specifically. I should have made that clear.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you can hold off a year next generation 4 runner supposed to be out end of 2021 as a 2022. Big changes, more power, better gas mileage. Supposedly still on a truck frame.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get the pro. Resale value is insane. You’ll be able to sell it basically for what you paid for it in a few years and upgrade to the new 4runner if you like.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    The headlights in the 2020+ are huge improvement, almost negates need for aftermarket light bars.
    Beam pattern is important but I believe factory lights are still legally limited to 150kcd?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast