Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV shopping - Nissan or Toyota

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Look at a Lex GX or a Toy Sequoia. The runner just isn’t quite large enough for 3+, in my world atleast.

I ran runners hard for over a decade and when the family outgrew them I switched to a sequoia for me and a sienna for the wife.

The sequoia is basically a 4runner on steroids and meth- minus some of the trail prowess But with a ton more creature comfort.

I love the 5.7 V8, although gas mileage is pretty much the least important thing on my list, even though I drive A LOT.

I’ve got a 2010 Platinum with 170K and it’s running strong. I do scheduled maintenance and treat her right.

She’ll go a long time.
    I always thought the Sequoia was a GX. Like the Camry/ES, Avalon/LS and the Highlander/RX

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I always thought the Sequoia was a GX. Like the Camry/ES, Avalon/LS and the Highlander/RX
    Nope. The GX is the Land Cruiser Prado, which is not imported into the US... except as the GX.

I believe the Sequoia is assembled in the US and based on the Tundra.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Nope. The GX is the Land Cruiser Prado, which is not imported into the US... except as the GX.

I believe the Sequoia is assembled in the US and based on the Tundra.
    Correct, the Sequoia is the sister SUV to the Tundra and made in Princeton, Indiana.

Funny story- I got tired of my BIL always talking about “American Made” trucks are the best and them “Jap trucks” suck- so I Politely pointed out that his F-150 was made in Mexico and my Sequoia is made in America and asked how many times he’s had it in the shop for repairs...

He shut up rather quickly.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm a Toyota fan.

Corolla
    240Z
    Celica
    Tacoma
    4Runner

I just could not get miles out of Datsun / Nissan.

Repairs were pretty basic and easy for either side until the "oh no, not that" variety which seemed to show up 100K miles before the Toyota.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Look at a Lex GX or a Toy Sequoia. The runner just isn’t quite large enough for 3+, in my world atleast.

I ran runners hard for over a decade and when the family outgrew them I switched to a sequoia for me and a sienna for the wife.

The sequoia is basically a 4runner on steroids and meth- minus some of the trail prowess But with a ton more creature comfort.

I love the 5.7 V8, although gas mileage is pretty much the least important thing on my list, even though I drive A LOT.

I’ve got a 2010 Platinum with 170K and it’s running strong. I do scheduled maintenance and treat her right.

She’ll go a long time.
    It’s funny you mention that. A friend of mine just sold his 4Runner for a Sequoia and loves it. The main reason I’ve been looking at 4Runners is there’s a lot more of them available on the used market, but you make some good points and I hate vehicle shopping so I don’t want to outgrow this quickly. Thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    If you’re looking at older “very used” vehicles Toyota is usually a good bet.
    This is extremely true. However, I had an old Datsun that would go anywhere on little to no fuel, oil, or water. Seriously, the thing was fueled by hate and nicotine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another vote for Toyota, I have Tacoma that just hit 300K and runs as strong as when I got it. My brother has had 2 4 runners over the last couple decades, no issues including one that ran to 645K before he put in a rebuilt engine and sold it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have had a few yota’s.
    1 Tacoma
    3 Tundras
    1 Camry
    3 Highlanders
    And just picked up a 4Runner today.

And a few Nissans.
    98 frontier
    Titan 05
    pathfinder 05-06

Issues:

Titan: The brake calipers froze up after a brake change. I will take the blame on that as I think I reseated the pistons too far/hard.
    Electric pusher fan.

Frontier: Timing chain guide failed at 174k. New valves, chain and guides and I rode another 50k miles until 5th gear just let go while cruising to work. When I left work I discovered 5th and reverse must be tied together somehow because I had neither.

Pathfinder:
    Front wheel bearings at 135k
    Electric pusher fan at 120k

The 14 Tundra had a fuel pump that would lose pressure and throw every light on the dash and disable traction control and everything. Repaired under warranty.

The only thing that concerned me today with the 4Runner is the new interlinking and tracking capabilities of the new Toyota’s. This was on the overhead console....

Vehicle Data Transmission is On! Your vehicle wirelessly transmits location, driving and vehicle health data to deliver your services and for internal research analysis. See Toyota privacy blah blah blah or to disable press SOS button.

To test to see if the truck had a cellular modem or function, I hit the location assist and it connected to a call service and I told them where I wanted to go (spoke to an actual human) and they entered the info into the built in navigation system and I could either hit GO or Save for later. I did this prior to linking a phone, so it has its own cellular device.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 12-04-20 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Toyota !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just saw an article on a million mile Tundra engine. It made more power than a new one and taking it apart they found it almost pristine. Cross hatch in the cylinder bore could still be seen and there was one scratch on a crank bearing. Craziness.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast