Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV shopping - Nissan or Toyota

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    I need to replace my 03 Tacoma with something that can fit three car seats but still hit the mountains of Oregon. I’m down to a GX460 or an F-150 with the 5.0. I drove an F-150 and loved the space but it just seems like such a big vehicle. The GX460 seems like it would fit in the woods better but I’m not sure I want something that takes premium gas. Right now this will be 90% daily driven but I’m unwilling to give up the capability of a real 4x4. I’m 6’4” and the current Tacoma/4Runner don’t give the same space as a GX.
    I posted on the premium gas thing earlier, but suffice to say the 1UR-FE in the GX is the same as the 1UR-FE that was in the Tundra, and Land Cruiser Prado. Just as the 3UR-FE in the LX is the same as the 3UR-FE in the Tundra, Land Cruiser, and Sequoia.

Lexus recommends premium fuel in their trucks and Toyota’s running the same exact engine function just the same with 87 octane.

Why Lexus does this is probably marketing, it’s a premium vehicle and takes premium fuel. The sad thing is a lot of the owners are convinced they must follow the owners manual. They’re the same ones who would also probably freak out if *gasp!* an oil filter for a Toyota in a Toyota box were to be used for an oil change on their Lexus.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My 12 year old GX gets, generally, 16 mpg. When I spend a lot of time on the highway it goes up to 18-20 mpg.

I generally feed it Premium, but I also feed my beloved mutt Fromm, and refuse to buy anything steel case that isn't a combloc caliber - even my Glocks get brass case.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Coal,

I did see your post about Premium vs Regular. I also read a long thread or two on some other sites debating the issue. It started to remind me of 9mm vs .45 threads from 10 years ago. The F-150 seemed like such a big vehicle compared to my little truck when I test drove one. It seemed like way too much when 90% of the time I didn’t need that much vehicle. The stupid thing is any F-150 made in the last ten years probably gets better mileage than my Taco. The lift and 33” tires hoses my MPG.

I was really interested in a LC100 until I found out about the issue with the brake booster going out. 4Runners just don’t have the headroom I need. That is how I came up with the GX. I read that you could fit three car seats across the second row. I was planning on storage drawers in the back in place of the third row seats.

Feedback Score
    I didn’t see any latch points in the center of the 2nd row in the GX.

Otherwise the GX is basically functionally what the 4Runner should be body wise. Taller greenhouse gives a lot more room inside for tall guys.

Feedback Score
    Latch only works up to like 40lbs and then you have to use the belt anyways. Once number three gets here, the other two won’t be able to use a latch system for their seats. We have a van as a primary mover so this vehicle only “needs” to fit everyone for Camping or trips to the snow. We had a CRV that did great in snow but the van is FWD only and I don’t have the same faith in it as the CRV.

Feedback Score
    Ah gotcha.

Yeah here soon my 3 year old will be out of the car seat and into a booster anyway.

We have my 2007 Tundra, a 2015 Chevrolet SS (hilarious car), and a little Scion tC that was my wife’s first ever new car. Need another 4 door that is inclement weather capable, the SS doesn’t get along with snow.

Feedback Score
    The inbound baby really makes finding a bad weather vehicle much harder. Heck a family of five over four has lots of logistical challenges but hey you don’t have kids because they are convenient. They all cost time, money and sanity but hearing the cries of “Daddy” when I walk through the door at night is totally worth it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    The inbound baby really makes finding a bad weather vehicle much harder. Heck a family of five over four has lots of logistical challenges but hey you don’t have kids because they are convenient. They all cost time, money and sanity but hearing the cries of “Daddy” when I walk through the door at night is totally worth it.
    I have my 3rd on the way as well and haven’t quite figured out the vehicle situation yet. So I’ve been following this with interest.

I’m down to a 4Runner and an F150. I want the F150 but I think the 4Runner makes more sense. We’re finishing up our fixer upper starter home, and the F150 would be easier for that and when I go hunting. But I can borrow my father in laws truck for the occasional Home Depot run and hunting is a few times a year.

I’m looking very used because the price of new vehicles is nuts and not my idea of a good investment.

Feedback Score
    If you’re looking at older “very used” vehicles Toyota is usually a good bet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I have my 3rd on the way as well and haven’t quite figured out the vehicle situation yet. So I’ve been following this with interest.

I’m down to a 4Runner and an F150. I want the F150 but I think the 4Runner makes more sense. We’re finishing up our fixer upper starter home, and the F150 would be easier for that and when I go hunting. But I can borrow my father in laws truck for the occasional Home Depot run and hunting is a few times a year.

I’m looking very used because the price of new vehicles is nuts and not my idea of a good investment.
    Look at a Lex GX or a Toy Sequoia. The runner just isn’t quite large enough for 3+, in my world atleast.

I ran runners hard for over a decade and when the family outgrew them I switched to a sequoia for me and a sienna for the wife.

The sequoia is basically a 4runner on steroids and meth- minus some of the trail prowess But with a ton more creature comfort.

I love the 5.7 V8, although gas mileage is pretty much the least important thing on my list, even though I drive A LOT.

I’ve got a 2010 Platinum with 170K and it’s running strong. I do scheduled maintenance and treat her right.

She’ll go a long time.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast