Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV shopping - Nissan or Toyota

Feedback Score
    Toyota by a long shot

Having lived worked in the islands and Caribbean and 3rd world countries you see some rusted out shells of other vehicles but the ones you see the most of on the road are Toyota

Have had a good handful of them and all of them were amazing and gave no issues
    Also a HUGE aftermarket for them so if you want sliders or racks or bumpers that can stand up etc... you can find anything
    Also besides dealers IF you kept your vehicle and like to wrench some HUGE fan base with great help on how to yourself and so on
    My love started in the 80s with the trucks and old FJs we recently had a 2014 4Runner before that a new FJ first year made think it was 2007 but recently got a VW as we had a life change on what we were doing and do not do much 4x4 anymore and drive way more around town but I was also a VW nut so they are fun in their own way

Feedback Score
    I’m going to beat a dead horse here and say Toyota. Nissan is partially owned by Peugeot. And they’re not what they used to be. Quality has tanked. I sold my 04 4Runner limited two years ago with ~285k of trouble free miles for a deal in a Tundra I couldn’t pass up. There were two others of the same year model and trim that my mechanic serviced with +550k trouble free miles. Love the tundra and plan to keep it for another 14 years. My wife loves her Highlander, it gets great mileage and has been totally trouble free. Very nice to drive.

The Lexus GX is the American version of the land cruiser prado. An awesome vehicle.

If toyota brought their small diesels to the US i would be all over it.

I grew up in Michigan where driving a “rice burner” was considered a sin. My whole extended family is now driving highlanders and Avalon’s.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The wife and I have become Toyota/Lexus fans in the past few years. Started with a 2015 Lexus IS250 FSport, then traded it for a 2018 IS 350 FSport. Then got a 2018 Camry Hybrid, and just recently traded the Lexus for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro—more useful than the Lexus. We have been pleased with each of them. Reliable and they just run.

If I were in the market for a midsized SUV, I would definitely look at either the 4Runner (older tech but tried and true) or a Highlander. If full-sized, I would look at the Lexus or the Landcruiser (both pricey). While I haven’t owned one, I have rented a ton, but the Tahoe/Suburbans seem to be pretty decent, just don’t know about reliability/longevity.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Double.....
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 09-16-20 at 11:16.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MC_Oper8or View Post
    Mazda, Toyota or Kia. Honda and Hyundai are not what they used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You do realize that Hyundai and Kia are the same company right? And just about everyone will disagree with the statement Hyundai arent what they used to be. Correct, they’re better than they used to be. They now rival the biggest names in the business, whereas just 10-15 years ago they made CHEAP econobox garbage. Look at Genesis (also Hyundai owned) they are refined and luxurious.

OP: Nissan has a partnership with Renault, they’re awful.

The 2019+ Toyota RAV4s are very nice, get that. Unless you want more than 203 horsepower, then consider the Mazda CX-5 turbo, or the Honda Passport V6. Subaru engines are underpowered, and they are stubbornly sticking to CVT trans, so I rule them out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    None of the above. Buy American.
    And what? Get a delicate unreliable drivetrain while simultaneously putting money in the pockets of labor union leftists in Ohio and Michigan? Maybe the plant in Texas where they made my Tacoma was UAW, not sure. But at least I know it stands a good chance of making it to 200k

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    You do realize that Hyundai and Kia are the same company right? And just about everyone will disagree with the statement Hyundai arent what they used to be. Correct, they’re better than they used to be. They now rival the biggest names in the business, whereas just 10-15 years ago they made CHEAP econobox garbage. Look at Genesis (also Hyundai owned) they are refined and luxurious.

OP: Nissan has a partnership with Renault, they’re awful.

The 2019+ Toyota RAV4s are very nice, get that. Unless you want more than 203 horsepower, then consider the Mazda CX-5 turbo, or the Honda Passport V6. Subaru engines are underpowered, and they are stubbornly sticking to CVT trans, so I rule them out.
    I could have posted this as those are my thoughts and observations exactly. Maxda keeps on scoring very high in all that matters. Been looking for the wife's next vehicle and Maxda looks good. FWIW I don't own Mazda but I don't want to keep her Maxima past 90,000 with the CVT.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I could have posted this as those are my thoughts and observations exactly. Maxda keeps on scoring very high in all that matters. Been looking for the wife's next vehicle and Maxda looks good. FWIW I don't own Mazda but I don't want to keep her Maxima past 90,000 with the CVT.
    Same here, never owned a Mazda. But a friend of mine since 8 years old, just ditched his Mazda 3 after 11 years and 188k. A/C stopped working recently, that’s all. They seem pretty robust. I’ve been trying to get my wife to warm up to the idea of the new Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.5L turbo and AWD. Thing should be a rocket pod. “She” will like it, it would be a great vehicle for “her”.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had two Xterra, (still have the second one), and I say go with Toyota. I drove my first Xterra to 235k when it died driving back from Utah, and my current has 102k on it with hopes to let another 150k out of it. They are great vehicles but require a shit load of maintenance. Granted more so because I off road with it. But still. Toyota has better aftermarket support, and are just built better. I hate how everyone has them, especially in the off roading circles. But there is a reason for that.

Feedback Score
    Toyota or Honda. Period end of sentence.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast