Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS really just a fashion statement?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Are BUIS really just a fashion statement?

I want to interface and dialogue about this.

Are they? I believe they are. I used to buy them. Then I would sell them or give them away.

Now I don’t have BUIS on anything. I keep a couple Irons only rifles because I just feel comfortable having them and sometimes just like to shoot irons only.

A quality Red Dot not made of Chinesium is tough and pretty shock resistant. If you do your part and keep track of your batteries then that is half the battle. ACOGs are solid. LPVOS are solid.
    Even the normal scopes are a lot better built now (of quality manufacturing).

Mounts are too.

I’m sure someone will bring up EMP, but if EMP were to happen then your red dot dying is the least of your concerns. Because it probably means everything else is out and you’re near a nuke.

And if something hits your rifle bad enough to break an ACOG then it will likely break your rifle and you along with it.

I’m just tired of the rigged game y’all.

Opinions, thoughts, angry shouting welcome
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm the same way. I used to have BUIS on everything, but I never ever needed them. Even if an optic goes down, you can still make hits without BUIS.

I don't use them at all anymore.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I look at them as a "better to have and not need" piece of kit. Yeah, RDS and Holo sights are damn near bulletproof these days and as long as you change batteries every so often, they "shouldn't" fail. But in the If and when case it does fail for some unknown reason and you need irons, I feel like you'd want them pretty bad instead of playing the "maybe I should have" game.

I tend to move towards the polymer Magpul MBUS myself since the additional weight is negligible and they are there as an emergency use only. Again, better to have and not need in my opinion and it's not really taking away anything save another $80 or so you add for peace of mind that you do have something if you really need it.

Now, offset sights are an entirely different subject...
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Strictly opinion here but irons can't fail. Anything can be hit or damaged but there nothing to go wrong.

My personal experience is only an example of one but my Aimpoint went down last year. I was double checking it the night before class and it started flickering. Any movement would cause it to turn on/off and scroll through the brightness levels. I still took the class with the same rifle because it has irons.

Last but not least they're small enough to be irrelevant. Even if I never used mine I'd never know they were there. There would be no reason to take them off

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I run BUIS on RD equipped carbines.
    With moderate astigmatism I use the rear sight as a diopter to sharpen Dot for anything approaching a precision shot, particularly at distance.

I have BUIS on a couple LPVOs that are in QD MOUNTS.
    Probably less in case the LPVO fails, than some screwy idea I may want irons instead of the scope. Monsoons, yeah that’s it.

Realistically, an Aimpoint or Trij RD isn’t gonna fail.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Yes, just a fashion statement.....until you need them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used BUIS once in a carbine class when my Aimpoint T1 battery went Tango Uniform. At lunch, I replaced it.

For me, the only place it's really an issue is on my night fighting rifles where rail space has to be prioritized. The first thing voted off the rail so to speak is BUIS. I mean, if the red dot dies and the visible laser dies, I guess somewhere, sometime, some poor bastard had to go to his THIRD sighting system to win.....I'm counting on the next time it happens, it not being me....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I look at it like the spare tire for cars. Some cars today are coming without spare tires and to be honest how often have you actually used one? But when you need one it's there and better than not having it.

Ive had to change my tire on the side of the road twice since I started driving in 96. However, both times were worth having it. Aside from the fact that I was on my way within 10 min the one time it happened on the turnpike and it would have cost a small fortune to have fixed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ever since Ive switched to LPVOs and RDS in 1.94 mounts in non QD mounts, my BUIS's have been sold off or in a box somewhere.

Also people think a BUIS is some super durable survive the end of world item, its not. Sighting systems Ive broken: Troy BUIS, sighting systems I havent broken: Aimpoints, Nightforce optics, Vortex optics ect

I just put on things I actually use in place of the BUIS.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-17-20 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What gajin said.. Anything resembling a precision shot requires lifting the rear sight.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast