Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS really just a fashion statement?

Feedback Score
    Batteries can die for reasons outside of simply running out of juice.

There's also the issue of environmental factors, such as fogging of the optics, occlusion by debris/scratches, etc. Manufacturing failures of an optic can also certainly be an issue, whether it be delamination, glue coming loose, springs breaking, etc.; the bathtub curve will probably solve that for any gun you shoot regularly, but it's still a possibility. I think there's a strong argument to be made that BUIS are no longer necessities for some optics (Aimpoints, ACOGs, etc.), but that's very different than saying that BUIS are now irrelevant/useless/a fashion statement.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Batteries can die for reasons outside of simply running out of juice.

There's also the issue of environmental factors, such as fogging of the optics, occlusion by debris/scratches, etc. Manufacturing failures of an optic can also certainly be an issue, whether it be delamination, glue coming loose, springs breaking, etc.; the bathtub curve will probably solve that for any gun you shoot regularly, but it's still a possibility. I think there's a strong argument to be made that BUIS are no longer necessities for some optics (Aimpoints, ACOGs, etc.), but that's very different than saying that BUIS are now irrelevant/useless/a fashion statement.
    Realistically if that happens you cant use your cowitness irons through you optic anyway. If you have to remove your optic to use your irons, I question the practicality in doing that in the middle of a gunfight. The only viable option is a set of offset sights, even then if you drop you rifle in the mud like a inrangeTV mud test irons still wouldnt be usable without digging into the aperture with fingernail before use.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-17-20 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    I have BUIS on most of my AR's. The ones that I do not have them on are just for hunting/shooting longer range. Place me in the camp of wanting BUIS on all self defense/fighting AR's. Do what you want.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Per red dots, in a way they can still be a crude aiming reference just through the aperture even if the dot is dead. So you are not totally out of the fight.

I believe at some point LPVO technology will become so refined that Red Dots will become mostly irrelevant if not totally.

They are getting lighter, shorter, and with increasingly more forgiving eye relief.

The original OEG were basically a tube with a filament that you couldn’t even see through and you relied on both your eyes for the optical illusion of a red dot.

Anything can fail. But the odds of probability seem so diminished these days. 10 years ago, I would have called you crazy for NOT having a BUIS. Nowadays I think it’s almost unnecessary.

Is there any documented cases within recent times of someone actually needing a BUIS? Genuinely curious.

I like a learning opportunity. I can tell you right now in my own scenario that if my work guns EOTECH goes down that I can put in another battery with relatively little issue. I cannot and will not dare to speak on someone in a war zone.

Is it just a voodoo habit, an additional “Optics tax”, or is the concept in its twilight?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Recent times needing a buis, no but a few years ago. I was on nights in the summer. 80 with high humidity. I grabbed my rifle for an open door alarm call. My rifle had been in the car for a few hours with the AC blasting. As soon as I got out of the car the whole rifle had moisture on it including the Eotech. I wiped it off and it was on both sides of the glass again and I couldn't see through it. Ditched it and went in with irons. David

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I used to be in the "better have them just in case" but having switched over everything to Prisms and LPVOs I have sold almost all my buis(still have some just in case) Some still sit under scopes(if they fit) just because. Only thing I used them for was to get a tighter dot thru RDS due to astigmatism.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fly mentioned aiming through a broken optic crudely. Yeah, that works, as does using the beam of an OKW at close range. But, it works better with a front sight. Y’all remember I bought that Sig Romeo 4t? The one thats supposed to be like the best non-Aimpoint/EoTech/Triji dot around? Yeah, it failed to wake up twice, in the rain. Both times I simply chucked it aside and used the backups. That rifle has a T2 now, btw.

I’m not saying backups are absolutely necessary for all users. But I like having them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Recent times needing a buis, no but a few years ago. I was on nights in the summer. 80 with high humidity. I grabbed my rifle for an open door alarm call. My rifle had been in the car for a few hours with the AC blasting. As soon as I got out of the car the whole rifle had moisture on it including the Eotech. I wiped it off and it was on both sides of the glass again and I couldn't see through it. Ditched it and went in with irons. David
    Did you have it in a center mount rack?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was the last guy to even use polymer trigger guards. And I'll admit to never, ever having to use them. I'd install, zero, intall optic and call it a day. And I've spoken in another thread about not spending $185.00 for Troys on every build or rifle that came without irons. Those days are gone for me.

But I still think an AR pattern rifle without irons is one catastrophe away from being useless, whereas those with BUIS is two away. MBUIS is cheap insurance and they color coordinate!
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I think context is important. As a civilian using a rifle in a home defense context I'm comfortable skipping BUIS. If my dot goes down when I need it, I won't have time to call timeout so I can deploy them.

Depending on distance, I can shoot anything in the "window" without the dot being on or point shoot. If I needed to engage targets beyond 25y I might think differently.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast